Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Question Regarding Locating Water Leak on 1994 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
eswickberg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Question Regarding Locating Water Leak on 1994 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Postby eswickberg » March 6th, 2023, 7:36 pm

Hello All,

My boat is currently moored in the water and I've noticed that she seems to get 2 to 3 Gallons of water into the mid bilge area on a 24 hour period. This is the centreline bilge in the Engine Compartment and there are forward and Aft limber holes for water to flow forward and aft to the other bilges. I've done extensive investigation and ruled out the aft thruhulls, the rudders, the waste and fresh water tanks (all empty), the shaft packing don't leak at all and the raw water intake thruhulls for the heads aren't leaking, nor are the discharge pump.

The boat is in brackish water in the Fraser River in Vancouver and although there have been many days where it's been dry the water is still finding it's way into the bilge. It therefore isn't coming from rain from outside.

I've removed the batteries that sit on top of my center mid bilge and vacuumed and dried out the mid and forward and aft bilges. As a result I've been able to determine that the water egress appears to be coming thru a limber hole that is at the forward end of the mid bilge. I've determined that there is an 8" area running to the starboard and port of the boat before there is a 2nd limber hole to the forward Bilge area. Access to this 8" area doesn't appear to be easily available. I've inserted a flexible mini camera with mini LED lighting and although I cane see blurry images there is nothing clearly observable in terms of water coming from within this area.

After a longwinded explanation of what I've done my question is, moving forward, how do I get access into this area?

Do I have to figure out a good location to cut and access hole/panel to allow me to further explore? Are there ways to access the area surrounded by fibreglass stringers that anyone is familiar on woth a Carver 350 Aft Cabin?

I'm considering putting the boat on the hard to deal with some other maintenance issues but I've been advised unless there is damage to the hull outside that won't necessarily help in determining any leaks. Partly due to the fact that in the water there is significant pressure on the hull due to the weight of the boat in the water and that won't be the case if she's out of the water.

Any suggestions from those of you with more experience would be greatly appreciated. I've attached two photos of the limber hole that is the source of where the water is from.

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Question Regarding Locating Water Leak on 1994 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Postby Midnightsun » March 6th, 2023, 7:57 pm

Is the water leaking in fresh or brackish? Do you have heat or AC running that needs to discharge condensate? Condensate can be discharged directly into the bilge or into a shower sump that could be non functional and therefor still drains into the bilge.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
eswickberg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby eswickberg » March 6th, 2023, 8:58 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Is the water leaking in fresh or brackish? Do you have heat or AC running that needs to discharge condensate? Condensate can be discharged directly into the bilge or into a shower sump that could be non functional and therefor still drains into the bilge.

Thanks for the reply. It's brackish but only slightly dependant on the current tide. I don't have AC and during the winter only use my electric space and oil heaters and a dehumidifier that collects inside of it and I dump manually. I keep the humidity at 55% .I have two shower sumps both are working and dump via above waterline.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 7th, 2023, 6:53 am

Are your thru-hull exhaust ports the kind that sit partially in the water? If so, check that area on the inside of the hull. I've seen these leak several times where they come through the hull.

Topic author Canada
eswickberg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby eswickberg » March 7th, 2023, 9:35 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Are your thru-hull exhaust ports the kind that sit partially in the water? If so, check that area on the inside of the hull. I've seen these leak several times where they come through the hull.

Thanks I'll look into that. My problem is that the area where it's pooling appears to be inside a fibreglass area that I've yet to determine how to access without cutting an inspection hatch

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 7th, 2023, 12:40 pm

A couple more to add.....what kind of toilets do you have ?..... where do they get their flush water and is that bilge pump discharge very close to the water line.

I guess that would matter if the boat only takes on water while after being underway though.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 7th, 2023, 5:26 pm

I doubt you have to cut an access hatch. If there's some kind of thru-hull fitting (that's the cause of the leak) there should be some kind of access to get to it. Might not be convenient or easy, but you should at least be able to see it.

Topic author Canada
eswickberg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby eswickberg » March 7th, 2023, 11:13 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post A couple more to add.....what kind of toilets do you have ?..... where do they get their flush water and is that bilge pump discharge very close to the water line.

I guess that would matter if the boat only takes on water while after being underway though.

We have a vacuflush fresh water that gets its water from our fresh water tank. The water tank and our water lines were empty and blown out so there wouldn't be any water in the lines. Even if there was residual water in the tank or lines it would have been minimal and drained by now. Also the water pump has been turned off since blown out so there's no pressure in those lines. The supply water line comes from forward of that bilge in the forward bilge and that bilge is dry. The limber hole that the water is coming from is aft of the forward bilge but forward of the mid bilge. Also, that bilge discharges about 5 inches above the water line and I can see the hose and the thruhull from the bilge in the engine room and there is no sign of water coming from the hose.

Topic author Canada
eswickberg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby eswickberg » March 7th, 2023, 11:15 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Are your thru-hull exhaust ports the kind that sit partially in the water? If so, check that area on the inside of the hull. I've seen these leak several times where they come through the hull.

Viper,
They all sit out of the water. A minimum of about 4" to 6"

Topic author Canada
eswickberg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby eswickberg » March 7th, 2023, 11:16 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post I doubt you have to cut an access hatch. If there's some kind of thru-hull fitting (that's the cause of the leak) there should be some kind of access to get to it. Might not be convenient or easy, but you should at least be able to see it.

Thanks. Will keep that in mind

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”