Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine cutting off after a while

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 2896

Engine cutting off after a while

Postby Ctmangrum » March 19th, 2023, 8:10 am

So I have twin1976 Ford 351 Windsor engines and they both will just shut down after running for a while then start back up then shut down again usually at the worst possible time
Coming back to the slip. im switching over to electronic ignition in a week or two as im tired of dealing with points and thought that may be the issue. Doesn't over heat and batteries read ok. What's your thoughts? Thanks.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Engine cutting off after a while

Postby km1125 » March 19th, 2023, 8:56 am

Do they both shut down at the same time all the time? Are they drawing from the same fuel tank?

I'd honestly try to fix that BEFORE migrating to an electronic ignition. The points-based systems are very simple and reliable, although they do require the periodic maintenance. Definitely a step-up to make that move, it just can cause a lot of headaches when making that kind of migration in the middle of trying to solve an intermittent problem.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 19th, 2023, 9:31 am

There's are several things that will cause those symptoms but we really need more info to narrow down the possibilities. KM brought up a couple of good questions. Would also be good to know;
- do the engines cough and choke before shutting down or do they quit suddenly without warning? This could narrow things down to either a fuel delivery or electrical/ignition issue
- after they quit, will they fire up again right away or does it take a while before you're able to restart them again? How long do you have to wait?
- is this a new condition or has it always been this way since you bought the boat?
- when was the last time maintenance such as fuel filters, ignition tune-ups, etc. were done and have the ignition components been checked?
- Have you checked the fuel filters for water?
- how old is the fuel?
- Are all connections at the batteries and blocks clean and tight? What about the engine harness plugs?

Some possibilities common to that symptom:
- bad or overheating ignition coils
- bad or overheating engine breakers if applicable
- bad anti-siphon valves
- tank pick-up tube screens getting clogged
- tank vents blocked
- fuel system vapor lock
- bad fuel lines
- poor connections

There's more but let's start there.

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » March 19th, 2023, 12:25 pm

So they both don't shut off at the same time. One will start up almost right away and one takes a minute. Don't think its a fuel problem.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 19th, 2023, 1:29 pm

Ctmangrum wrote:Source of the post So they both don't shut off at the same time. One will start up almost right away and one takes a minute. Don't think its a fuel problem.

Have you changed any ignition or fuel system ( pumps) part/components lately or has this been happening since you have owned the boat ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » March 19th, 2023, 4:13 pm

Im pretty sure its the distributor components and points i recently changed. Didn't set something right or whatever. Im changing to electronic ignition in a week or 2 so im hoping that will resolve the issue. Just wanted to see if I was on the right track. Seems to be the only thing that makes sense. Recently changed the cap, points, condensor, and coil because I was having some hard starts and now this problem. Ill know if a couple weeks. Thanks.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 20th, 2023, 10:05 am

Just make sure when you buy this new system that you get all the correct compatible components to go with the new system....

.....fyi... points will either work or not...the engine may run poorly but won't run fine and then just quit after a time.....that sounds more like an overheated component somewhere to me.....coils perhaps, as they were changed ( perhaps the wrong spec coils ), bad connections ( loose, corrosion, but both engines ???? ) that get hot, fail then work again after cooling down......you did not say how much time was passing before you could restart.

What is common to both engines ? Your previous post about this was a while back before you changed those components I think from reading back. All I am saying here, is to make sure about the components, don't assume that what was there before you owned the boat was the correct part for the intended service. If the failed part was wrong then replacing it with kind will not fix it.....good luck with the new ignition.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 20th, 2023, 11:49 am

Ctmangrum wrote:Source of the post Im pretty sure its the distributor components and points i recently changed.

Yea, that would make sense.

Ctmangrum wrote:Source of the postRecently changed the cap, points, condensor, and coil because I was having some hard starts and now this problem. Ill know if a couple weeks. Thanks.

Were they the exact same parts - or the correct parts for the application?

Did/do you have an ignition resistor in the circuit?

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » March 20th, 2023, 12:26 pm

So it was the same parts and yes on the resistor but, minimal issues until I messed with them of course.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”