Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Loose vinyl panels

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Fishsail
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991, 420 aft cabin

Loose vinyl panels

Postby Fishsail » March 21st, 2023, 6:44 am

I’ve got loose and saggy water damaged vinyl panels in the salon by the side windows. Does anyone have any suggestions to replace? I was thinking of just cutting out the vinyl, fill, fair and paint the area? Unless it bare fiberglass then that is too much work. I’d rather not remove the windows.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Loose vinyl panels

Postby Midnightsun » March 21st, 2023, 6:49 am

Don't have an answer for you but do make sure you have resolved the leak before changing panels as this will just happen again.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 21st, 2023, 7:17 am

I doubt it'll be a finished surface, it's likely just bare glass and that would be a real pain to fair out, not to mention pretty messy. You could replace the vinyl and just trim the edges with either wood or a strip of fabric trim. You'd probably have to use spray glue on the whole surface to keep the material from sagging. A thin foam backed vinyl will hide the uneven surface of unfinished fiberglass. Use a good quality product who's foam won't break down in a couple of years so you're not doing this again any time soon. Ya make sure you find the source of the leak first and repair it before replacing the material.

Topic author United States of America
Fishsail
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991, 420 aft cabin

Postby Fishsail » March 22nd, 2023, 8:08 am

Yes of course I’ll have to repair the leaks first. I’m sure there are other carvers out here with loose vinyl? I’ve seen a number in different listings. And you’re probably right about raw glass, probably part of the issue?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 22nd, 2023, 8:15 am

I must assume the loose vinyl was caused by the leak so unless someone else has a leak then there would be no loose vinyl.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”