Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 466 Hardtop Build vs Canvas Replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Annamal
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 466

Carver 466 Hardtop Build vs Canvas Replacement

Postby Annamal » May 2nd, 2023, 10:46 am

Hi Everyone,

My canvas on my 01 466 is come to the end of its life. I have to make a decision this summer on whether to simply replace with new canvas or try to attempt to build a hardtop. I am not a canvas fan and would love to have the hard top to add a few solar panels.
Has anyone done this and have some advice on what to and more important what not to do? I am thinking of using aluminum and powder coating it. Cheaper and lighter.

Thanks all!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Carver 466 Hardtop Build vs Canvas Replacement

Postby km1125 » May 2nd, 2023, 11:25 am

There's a member here who built his own hardtop for the aft deck. If you want to get an idea what he did, his link is here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27&p=100&hilit=hardtop#p100

Aluminum would be cool too, but also expensive. I had a former dock neighbor who had an aluminum hardtop on his 350 Mariner. Looked great but all he knew about it was that it was put on by the former owner and it was "very expensive".

Topic author Canada
Annamal
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 466

Postby Annamal » May 2nd, 2023, 11:55 am

Thank you!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 2nd, 2023, 4:50 pm

There are places that sell hardtops. Don't know if they're custom for each make and model but worth a call and discuss. Here are a couple of examples but there are more out there. Atlantic is a very well known supplier...
https://www.atlantictowers.com/custom-towers-hardtops.php
https://boathardtop.com/

You can also touch base with Stainless Outfitters in Barrie Ont....
https://stainlessoutfitters.com/

United States of America
lester7410
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 4207; 1988; refitted 1996; Cummins 420hp 6CTA's ;

Postby lester7410 » May 4th, 2023, 1:22 am

I have just completed the forward half of a custom hard top for my 4207. It is made of carbon fiber with a ridged styrene foam core; total weight = 40 lbs. The winter project took me a total of 280 hrs and $ 1100.00 in materials. I would estimate the market cost of this section to be around $18,000. This section of the top is 8'9"wide x 2'6"long. The top framing was custom molded onto the radar arch then other framing members attached while in place. Lastly, the framing was covered with an 18oz carbon fiber skin and bonded in place. The side glass is 0.09" polycarbonate with custom molded carbon fiber framing set in plastic awning rails. I am in the process of building the aft section which will be about 6'0" long.[im
124.jpg
age][/image]
220930 Bridge Top framing 1.jpg
220930 Bridge Top framing 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
ems05#05
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 466 my
twin volvo tamd75

Postby ems05#05 » May 4th, 2023, 1:31 am

I had a hardtop made for my 04 466 and came out great. It was made by Atlantic Tops & Towers. Made of carbon fiber which is much lighter than fiberglass, they have pictures in the gallery on their website.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 4th, 2023, 8:22 am

lester7410 wrote:Source of the post I have just completed the forward half of a custom hard top for my 4207. It is made of carbon fiber with a ridged styrene foam core; total weight = 40 lbs. The winter project took me a total of 280 hrs and $ 1100.00 in materials. I would estimate the market cost of this section to be around $18,000. This section of the top is 8'9"wide x 2'6"long. The top framing was custom molded onto the radar arch then other framing members attached while in place. Lastly, the framing was covered with an 18oz carbon fiber skin and bonded in place. The side glass is 0.09" polycarbonate with custom molded carbon fiber framing set in plastic awning rails. I am in the process of building the aft section which will be about 6'0" long.

That looks very cool. You need to start a thread in the "Projects" folder and post up all the info on the process you used. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing!!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”