Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Trim molding/screw cover

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Trim molding/screw cover

Postby KyleR » May 22nd, 2023, 11:21 am

Just wanted to pass along something I found that may be useful to others.

As you can see from the pics attached, our screw cover/trim molding on the exterior was in pretty poor shape. After much research, I found an Amazon supplier that would send samples of various sizes and colors for just the cost of shipping. So I ordered a set and they turned out to be really nice.

While all three profiles (1/2", 5/8" and 3/4") would fit into the slot, the 5/8" gave us the look we were going after and provided a solid seal. The 1/2" was a little loose and the 3/4" bulged a little more than we preferred.

Anyway, here's some before and after pics, along with a profile of what we took out vs. the new. I'm also attaching a pic of the sample I ordered in case someone else is interested. I have no connection with this seller and get nothing in return. And since I just installed it, I am not sure about longevity. However for now at least I have a good seal and it look so much better!!

Hope this helps someone!

Kyle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Trim molding/screw cover

Postby g36 » May 22nd, 2023, 4:09 pm

That looks very good. Thank you for posting your solution and what you used. I'm sure this can help others at some point.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 22nd, 2023, 5:40 pm

That's great info! Might even help some folks out just knowing there are screws under there!

United States of America
paulr
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 396 CY Aft Cabin 2001 8.1 Crusaders

Postby paulr » May 22nd, 2023, 5:40 pm

I love it when people post things that you know you will need eventully. You never know when something like this will pop up as one of your needs. Maybe a year from now someone google a need for this and the search will bring you to this website.
That is how I found out there was a Carver Owners Forum (asking about enginine issues). There is a wealth of information here and I just hope it keeps going.

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » May 22nd, 2023, 10:41 pm

This community/forum has helped me so many times over the last 9 months - so I want to help out wherever I can! :-)
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 23rd, 2023, 5:34 am

Awesome find and thanks for posting. :down:

On my previous boat I had an intermittent leak in the head that would rear its ugly face now and then by staining the monkey fur. Lasted for years because I could not figure out where in the world it was originating from. Turns out one of the screws under that same windshield moulding was missing and rain water got through, traveled about 7' all the way back to the head and then down the wall. Check those screws for tightness if you get in there to change the rubber!
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 23rd, 2023, 9:03 am

Thanks for the post....that is the stuff I got from Taylormade in NY state in the right profile for the windshield/side windows. The original shrinks a tremendous amount over time depending on sun and heat exposure. Tip... stick the ends down when you install it, don't put it in short.....if any water gets behind there should be somewhere to drain.

I believe there may have been a pervious thread about it here.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
nw340driver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Marquis 55 LS

Postby nw340driver » February 29th, 2024, 2:42 pm

KyleR wrote:Source of the post Just wanted to pass along something I found that may be useful to others.

As you can see from the pics attached, our screw cover/trim molding on the exterior was in pretty poor shape. After much research, I found an Amazon supplier that would send samples of various sizes and colors for just the cost of shipping. So I ordered a set and they turned out to be really nice.

While all three profiles (1/2", 5/8" and 3/4") would fit into the slot, the 5/8" gave us the look we were going after and provided a solid seal. The 1/2" was a little loose and the 3/4" bulged a little more than we preferred.

Anyway, here's some before and after pics, along with a profile of what we took out vs. the new. I'm also attaching a pic of the sample I ordered in case someone else is interested. I have no connection with this seller and get nothing in return. And since I just installed it, I am not sure about longevity. However for now at least I have a good seal and it look so much better!!

Hope this helps someone!

Kyle

Really great post, Kyle, thank you! I am in the market for - what I believe to be - the very same seal! I did not see the source information (other than Amazon) in your post. Would you be able / willing to share the vendor name and/or some listing identification? Thank you! Or, feel free to DM me.
~David

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » February 29th, 2024, 3:34 pm

See if this works:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WX1N5D?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

If not, let me know and I'll try again! :-D. This is just the link to order the sample pack.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
nw340driver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Marquis 55 LS

Postby nw340driver » March 1st, 2024, 4:52 pm

KyleR wrote:Source of the post See if this works:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WX1N5D?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

If not, let me know and I'll try again! :-D. This is just the link to order the sample pack.

Kyle,
Very helpful! That does appear to the right style of trim that I need. I have done a ton of web searching and found the name 'screw cover vinyl' and molding trim vinyl' as helpful search terms.

The ones you sent are too small for my application, I need 1 " trim (outside width) and the inside is 13/16". I have uploaded a couple of photos that show my application.

Do you happen to know the manufacturer of the trim samples you referred? I would like to find the mfr's website to see if the size and color I need is available.

Here is a link to TaylorMade's website, where they stock and sell a variety of these types of trims, in case this is useful for others:

https://www.taylormadeproducts.com/hard ... er-vinyls/

Many thanks to all!
-David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”