Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

What size nut is this?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

What size nut is this?

Postby KyleR » May 27th, 2023, 8:07 am

This may be a silly question, but I'd like a second opinion before I go purchasing the wrong tool. I'll be changing both Tides shaft seal kits (the whole assembly) during our upcoming haulout and am getting parts and tools gathered now. They are original to the boat (2002) and are in poor condition overall.

Based on the attached drawings, it looks like the nut (Item 7) that holds the coupler on the shaft is a 2 1/4" nut, but I just want to make sure I'm reading it correctly. If you look at all the other items, they use the "inch marks" with the dimensions, but not on this part for some reason.

I've also heard that it is a nyloc nut and requires a thin-wall socket to fit inside the coupler. I wasn't sure what all the nomenclature for "CSL 2-1/4 SHT" meant.

Has anyone done this job and/or have any other advice? Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: What size nut is this?

Postby Viper » May 27th, 2023, 8:52 am

CSL is a self clinching nut. Not sure about SHT but I suspect it may be a metallurgy standard/term.

Yes it will be a nyloc type nut and you will need a thin walled socket for it. In a pinch when I couldn't find the right thinned walled socket, I've taken a regular one and had a prop shop turn it to the right thickness. I've grinded them down myself too. Some prop shops will also carry these sockets but a good tool supplier shouldn't have an issue getting one for you. BTW, I've also had to grind down a thin walled socket, so don't be surprised if that's what you run into.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 27th, 2023, 9:17 am

If that turns out to be a short nyloc, I would consider replacing it with a new one to be sure the locking is still good. I am sure many would just reuse, but it has been on there for years etc.

For what its worth, I have ground down sockets many times with a bench grinder, especially plug sockets, they are hard so don't overheat them while doing it.....good luck with your project.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 27th, 2023, 10:09 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post CSL is a self clinching nut. Not sure about SHT but I suspect it may be a metallurgy standard/term.

I thought CSL was for a castellated nut, which would make sense if it has that cotter pin that the parts list shows.

But I wouldn't bet the farm on that being right either.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 27th, 2023, 10:27 pm

It could be in this case km, I didn't notice the cotter pin. Don't see many setups like that. They're a pain.

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » May 30th, 2023, 8:16 am

Thanks for all the comments! Best forum ever :-D
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » June 6th, 2023, 8:09 pm

I’ve had that coupler apart. I have a 444 couple years newer then your 396 and it was not a nylon lock but a castle nut with a cotter pin. You I’ll see the cotter pin on the coupler now if it uses same style as mine. The nut was 2” and I had to weld it to a big hunk of steel I could hit with a small sledge hammer. Also had to make a tool that bolts onto the coupler bolts to block the coupler. It was a very difficult job to get it apart. I could not get the nut off with a 3/4” bar and a pipe over it that was about 5’ long. It’s either going to be easy or not fun. Good luck.

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » June 6th, 2023, 9:13 pm

I could not get the nut off with a 3/4” bar and a pipe over it that was about 5’ long.

Yikes! :-O Here's a pic of the cotter pin location. Does this look like the same configuration? Also, did yours have a 2" shaft? Do you happen to have any pics of your setup? Thanks for taking the time to reply!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 7th, 2023, 2:02 pm

If they have used some kind of thread locker you may have to use heat.....then again it might just pop off !!

I guess it will all depend on whether the couplings have been worked on since new boat delivery and who has done what since.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 7th, 2023, 3:30 pm

There shouldn't need to be a lot of torque on that nut. It just needs to be tight enough to pull the shaft fully into the taper. The castle nut and cotter pin then make sure it can't back off at all.

But... seeing the corrosion on the outside of the coupling, who knows what you might run into trying to get the old one off.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”