Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2007 36 MY rudder mount leak/corrosion

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
CKSflier
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 36 MY
Volvo D6-310s

2007 36 MY rudder mount leak/corrosion

Postby CKSflier » June 6th, 2023, 12:15 pm

I have owned a 2007 36 MY for two years (first boat/yacht); the prior owner (not the original owner) took exceptional mechanical care and installed several upgrades but had to sell. I finished the boat with exterior restoration, badging (after a long search to replicate it), lighting, and some minor mechanical issues.

My mechanical vendor did not feel additional anodes were needed for freshwater lake use (they were on the trim tabs); the boat had an unknown amount of saltwater exposure over its lifetime, but this was not evident in its overall condition.

Fast forward to now: I was diagnosing a #3 bilge light and found the starboard rudder leaking with corrosion on the shaft mount/bolts as it goes thru the hull (the pre-purchase CVS didn't observe this area). With much effort, I got my inspection camera cable to the port side with similar results.

The bow/stern thrusters nuts also show rust and driveshaft mount hardware shows corrosion, so more anodes will be installed on all exposed assemblies.

Questions:
Does anyone have a 2007 36 MY parts manual so I might “attempt” a search for replacement rudder mounts? (and shafts, if necessary)

And/or: Can anyone recommend where mounts/shafts could be obtained or replicated?

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG-3520.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 2007 36 MY rudder mount leak/corrosion

Postby km1125 » June 6th, 2023, 12:45 pm

Honestly, I don't think those look that bad. I'd brush it down with a light acid and stainless brush and rinse well. See how well it cleans up and then put some corrosion protection on it like Boeshield (T-9), Corrosion-X, POR-15, or even WD-40.

Anodes likely won't stop what you're seeing there, but they should be installed whether you're on fresh or salt. You never know who you're going to be docked near and a fault in their electrical wiring could affect your vessel. Most of what I see is caused by moisture (and air) INSIDE the boat, whereas the anodes would protect what's OUTSIDE the boat in the water.

Once it's cleaned up, I'd see if all that needs is some adjustment to the packing to stop the leak.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 2007 36 MY rudder mount leak/corrosion

Postby bud37 » June 6th, 2023, 4:38 pm

Welcome to the forum......on the cleaning,.... make sure not to use a steel brush, stainless or brass only, as mentioned. A good clean up will help, and make sure to clean all the bonding connections and check the bonding system is still viable. Corroded connections etc will short circuit the bonding system and can cause corrosion problems on parts you dearly want, like props , rudders, shafts etc.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”