Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Rain water entering 366 MY aft cabin.

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Jaybrony
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 366 motor yacht.

Rain water entering 366 MY aft cabin.

Postby Jaybrony » October 8th, 2023, 8:27 pm

I have rain water entering the closet of my 366 Motor Yacht aft cabin. Has anyone else had this issue?

United States of America
gmac98004
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Proud new owner - '98 355 Aft Cabin "Invictus"
6BT5.9M 210hp
Formerly - 1986 - 30' Newport MKIII

Re: Rain water entering 366 MY aft cabin.

Postby gmac98004 » October 8th, 2023, 10:02 pm

Hello!

Are you able to tell us exactly which closet and which part of the closet the leak is coming from?

And also, is it significant enough that it is entering into bilge?

let us know!

Take Care, Greg

Canada
MyPleasure
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 36 aft cabin with Volvo 740b engines. Westerbeke 5kw generator. Bought the boat in Portland Oregon in June, and a friend and I brought it up to Sidney, BC. Great trip!

Postby MyPleasure » October 10th, 2023, 12:24 am

Hi, we had a water leak in the storage area above the aft bed on our 1989 4207. I tried sealing every deck fitting on the stern of that boat, but could never stop the leak or figure out where the leak originated. Then I noticed that the sealant above and below the rubrail, where the hull joins the cabin had a lot of gaps where the sealant was missing.
I wound up stripping all the old sealant out, and resealed above and below the join, and no more water leaks. I used Sikaflex to seal the joint, and every 2-3 years I would scrape out the Sikaflex and redo it. Just a thought.
Al
1st Carver 1987 32 Aft Cabin
2nd Carver 1989 4207 Aft Cabin
3rd Carver 1995 350 Voyager
4th (current) 1992 36 Carver Aft Cabin

Canada
MyPleasure
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 36 aft cabin with Volvo 740b engines. Westerbeke 5kw generator. Bought the boat in Portland Oregon in June, and a friend and I brought it up to Sidney, BC. Great trip!

Postby MyPleasure » October 10th, 2023, 12:24 am

Hi, we had a water leak in the storage area above the aft bed on our 1989 4207. I tried sealing every deck fitting on the stern of that boat, but could never stop the leak or figure out where the leak originated. Then I noticed that the sealant above and below the rubrail, where the hull joins the cabin had a lot of gaps where the sealant was missing.
I wound up stripping all the old sealant out, and resealed above and below the join, and no more water leaks. I used Sikaflex to seal the joint, and every 2-3 years I would scrape out the Sikaflex and redo it. Just a thought.
Al

United States of America
366man!
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 366

Postby 366man! » October 30th, 2023, 2:09 pm

I have the same issue on my 366. So far cannot find the leak. Its not the port holes. The leak comes in the head and also the ceiling and down the walls. Perhaps the scuppers on the cockpit level...driving us nuts!!!!

Topic author United States of America
Jaybrony
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 366 motor yacht.

Postby Jaybrony » November 1st, 2023, 3:52 pm

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. he water seems to be coming from the area above the forward closet in the aft stateroom. The closet that has the drawers next to it. The best I can tell it is directly below the sliding glass door. If we get a heavy rain it will run down the wall and soak the carpet. I have been chasing this issue all summer. I have removed and re-caulked everything above that I could find.
366man, I know what you are saying. I am literally at my wits end.

Canada
MyPleasure
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby MyPleasure » November 15th, 2023, 3:32 pm

It took me months to track down where the water was coming from on our 4207, and my Dad always told me that a leak can start a long way from where it pools up. I never did pinpoint the exact location of where the leak started, but pulling all the old sealer out of the rubbing strip that covers the joint where the hull and topsides joined, stopped our leak! I recaulked every cleat, every stantion, ladder fitting and window on the aft end of the boat with no success. I would never have thought that the leak could come from the hull and topside joint, but it sure did.
Just a thought
Al

United States of America
366man!
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 366

Postby 366man! » January 9th, 2024, 1:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe it was the joint as well. Tried to do a patch job but maybe pulling the old sealer out of the rubbing strip and replacing will do the trick. Thanks!

Canada
Russdee
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3607
twin International 9.0L diesel

Postby Russdee » February 13th, 2024, 4:23 pm

MyPleasure wrote:Source of the post It took me months to track down where the water was coming from on our 4207, and my Dad always told me that a leak can start a long way from where it pools up. I never did pinpoint the exact location of where the leak started, but pulling all the old sealer out of the rubbing strip that covers the joint where the hull and topsides joined, stopped our leak! I recaulked every cleat, every stantion, ladder fitting and window on the aft end of the boat with no success. I would never have thought that the leak could come from the hull and topside joint, but it sure did.
Just a thought

Good to know.. I have a 3607 that is leaking rain water into the aft cabin underneath the writing table.. The rub rail on my boat seams to be pretty tight and can't see where any removable/replaceable sealant would be
rub rail 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 14th, 2024, 12:09 pm

Russdee wrote:Good to know.. I have a 3607 that is leaking rain water into the aft cabin underneath the writing table.. The rub rail on my boat seams to be pretty tight and can't see where any removable/replaceable sealant would be
rub rail 1.jpg

Are you talking about the table on the port side?

The portlights back there would be a big suspect, including the one in the aft head. There's a fiberglass "shelf"" under those that would allow water to track aft from the point of the actual leak and then drop down later.

If you haven't already, I would also thoroughly check the stanchions and the cleat to make sure there's no possibility those are allowing water in also.

Water can track along the inside of the hull and start showing up pretty far from the actual leak location. Some of those buggers can be hard to find.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”