Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Stuck seacock valve

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Stuck seacock valve

Postby tgebler » October 30th, 2023, 8:56 am

The starboard engine seacock will not budge in my 2000 396 aft cabin. I have attached several photos. Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Stuck seacock valve

Postby bud37 » October 30th, 2023, 9:20 am

Wow that looks fairly recent....how much force have you tried so far and is the boat in the water.

Be sure you are trying the handle in the correct direction first. Sometimes a foot of plastic pipe over the handle will add just enough leverage, just be careful. Make sure that handle nut is tight as well.

On another note I would clean up those bonding connections.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » October 30th, 2023, 9:41 am

Stop at a marine store and pick up some Hot Sauce brand product. The "conditioner" will free up almost anything. Great to have onboard all season. Good luck. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 30th, 2023, 10:07 am

Don't try too hard on the handle, as you can break the stem off.

You can remove the drain plug opposite the handle and fabricate a grease fitting to go in there. Inject some grease there. You can use teflon grease, but Groco actually as a "custom formulated" grease they recommend. Supposedly it has some "anti-growth" additives, but I think just filling that compartment with grease would stop any growth from forming.

You can also remove the stop (that little black allen-wench bolt in the center of the picture) and try the handle both ways. That might help, but again be careful because pushing too hard can break the stem or distort the "flats" in either the stem or the handle and make the handle loose.

If the boat is out of the water, you can remove the hose and hose barb from the top, and fabricate a tool so you can loosen the ball from the inside. Below is one I made for a friend. Pretty simple, just a bar of stock and you drill and thread two small holes for two small bolts.

ball_valve_tool_pic.jpg

ball_valve_tool.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tgebler
First Mate
First Mate

Postby tgebler » October 30th, 2023, 10:10 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Wow that looks fairly recent....how much force have you tried so far and is the boat in the water.

Be sure you are trying the handle in the correct direction first. Sometimes a foot of plastic pipe over the handle will add just enough leverage, just be careful. Make sure that handle nut is tight as well.

On another note I would clean up those bonding connections.

I was trying in the correct direction. I am in the water for the winter. I will try the plastic pipe. I am getting about 1-2" movement.

Any suggestions for cleaning the bonding connections?

tgebler
First Mate
First Mate

Postby tgebler » October 30th, 2023, 10:11 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Don't try too hard on the handle, as you can break the stem off.

You can remove the drain plug opposite the handle and fabricate a grease fitting to go in there. Inject some grease there. You can use teflon grease, but Groco actually as a "custom formulated" grease they recommend. Supposedly it has some "anti-growth" additives, but I think just filling that compartment with grease would stop any growth from forming.

You can also remove the stop (that little black allen-wench bolt in the center of the picture) and try the handle both ways. That might help, but again be careful because pushing too hard can break the stem or distort the "flats" in either the stem or the handle and make the handle loose.

If the boat is out of the water, you can remove the hose and hose barb from the top, and fabricate a tool so you can loosen the ball from the inside. Below is one I made for a friend. Pretty simple, just a bar of stock and you drill and thread two small holes for two small bolts.

ball_valve_tool_pic.jpg

ball_valve_tool.jpg

The boat is in the water. Someone else suggested the grease in the fitting. I am going to try the grease this week. Thanks.

tgebler
First Mate
First Mate

Postby tgebler » October 30th, 2023, 10:13 am

tgebler wrote:Source of the post
km1125 wrote:Source of the post Don't try too hard on the handle, as you can break the stem off.

ball_valve_tool_pic.jpg

ball_valve_tool.jpg

The boat is in the water. Someone else suggested the grease in the fitting. I am going to try the grease this week. Thanks.

Which bolt is the grease fitting?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 30th, 2023, 10:29 am

Well if you are in the water and getting a couple inches movement then go easy, it is possible there may be something stuck in there. It is possible.

Just have a close look to see if the movement is just the handle itself or the shaft, you can distort those handle mounting surfaces , that is why I suggested to make sure the nut is tight and go easy. Maybe the grease idea first.

Sometimes if the valve is wide open it may be best to leave it alone until the boat gets pulled, you wouldn't want to break it closed, then you will have to pull the boat.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

tgebler
First Mate
First Mate

Postby tgebler » October 30th, 2023, 10:40 am

Since I have to winterize that engine (gets cold here in Pittsburgh), I need to get the valve closed. The stuck item was suggested by someone at the marina. I am planning to try the grease and, if no success, try blowing air down the hose to dislodge any blockage. Thanks.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 30th, 2023, 11:05 am

It's a ball valve so it can be turned both ways. Remove the stop screw for the handle and that will allow you to work it back and forth more. It is the small stainless screw with no head in your pic beside the base of the handle. Just go easy working the handle back and forth, lubricate once you've freed it, then remember to reinstall the stop screw. Hope it works out. Keep us posted.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”