Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Drain Plug

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
650Guy
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396 Motor Yatch
370 Cummins

Drain Plug

Postby 650Guy » November 15th, 2023, 6:45 pm

Hey all;

Anyone ever replace/repack/reseal their drain plug? In the spring I had some water intruding from the drain plug that eventually swelled up and sealed. I just got pulled today and was informed by the staff that my drain plug housing spun while they tried to take the plug out.

has anyone ever had to replace/reseal the drain plug and if so how do you get that out without damaging the hull? I think it has 4 screws into the hull, I fear that those may be damaged now.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Drain Plug

Postby pepmyster » November 16th, 2023, 6:15 am

Only way to know is when you remove the housing to inspect what went on.....

650Guy
Captain
Captain
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » November 16th, 2023, 7:21 am

Are those pretty standard sized? The threads on the plug are still fine, but the housing itself is what is not looking good. So I may be able to save the plug itself, just repair whatever caused it to loosen.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 16th, 2023, 10:07 am

The hull is solid FG on the transom. Before you reinstall the same housing, make sure you can spin the actual plug out. Yes the sizes are pretty standard. You may need to fill hole in with a good epoxy, then redrill for the new housing. Don't fret too much on the actual plug itself, the plug and housing combination is not much more than a new plug. The housing do spin out occasionally, especially if the plug removal is over torqued instead of using a little loosening fluid. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 16th, 2023, 6:41 pm

Take a pic and post it after you remove the fitting. Should be easy , just 3 screws if the bronze. If you decide to replace the fitting kit be sure to get bronze but I somehow doubt you will need a new one, even so they are cheap.
Lots of times the original hole is a bit big and the screw holes to mount are too close to the inside hole edge and break thru with the yearly plug out and plug in.....the lift guys almost always give it a quick tight check as well. Good luck.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

650Guy
Captain
Captain
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » November 16th, 2023, 7:26 pm

I'll post the pictures as soon as i get it out. It might be a couple of weeks before i attack it. This is an added "todo" for me this winter. I was planning on attacking converting my old twin 50a 125 shore power inlets to a single 50a 125/250 smart plug. That will be another post in and of itself for the group.

But as for this job, I am not a big fan of messing with holes in my hull... so i'm really not excited about this job.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 16th, 2023, 9:11 pm

You really have to understand which one you have. Below are a few examples. I had one of he first couple examples on my Carver with the big "T" handle that you operate from inside the bilge. Some of those (the first couple examples shown) "clamp" on the hull like a plumbing fitting. The last example is a "T" handle but uses the same kind of 3-screw hull plate that the non-T-handle one uses. The non-T handle one below is probably the most used example. It's simple, but does require a tool to remove and reinsert, whereas you don't need a tool for all the "T" handles ones.

garboard plugs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

650Guy
Captain
Captain
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » November 16th, 2023, 9:44 pm

Thatws a great help! Just off memory, i'm guessing I have the 4th one from the left to the right, MAYBE the last one though. Just curious, how do I know for sure?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”