Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

396 MY Dock Side Access Door Hinges

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Ojgami
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396

396 MY Dock Side Access Door Hinges

Postby Ojgami » January 1st, 2024, 5:50 pm

Hi everyone! I’m a new Carver 396 owner and am trying to make a few repairs before spring. My starboard side dock access door is difficult to open and close because the hinges are bent and cracking. I can’t seem to find replacements anywhere so far. They are three-hole 4” x 3” hinges. I’ve attached a pic. Any help on sourcing a replacement would be much appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Re: 396 MY Dock Side Access Door Hinges

Postby KyleR » January 2nd, 2024, 7:18 pm

I had a similar situation. What I ended up doing was first removing the door and hinges. It's a good idea to have someone help with the door so it doesn't end up in the water!! I didn't have anyone to help and it got a little sketchy at times!!

Anyway, as I was doing this it revealed yet another issue: several of the screws were stripped out and not really holding anything. :banghead:

Once the hinges were off I took a soft mallet and a vice (with padded jaws) and got the hinges flat again and working properly.

Next I ordered the following on Amazon and retapped the stripped holes and used the new threaded inserts:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092QVJUS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Finally, I put it all back together using butyl tape for all the screw holes and everything works great!!

I realize this didn't answer your question of where to find new hinges, but maybe this might be a solution if yours are not too damaged.

Good luck!

Kyle
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Ojgami
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ojgami » January 2nd, 2024, 10:34 pm

Thanks Kyle, that’s starting to look like my only real option. I considered taking it off and hammering it out, but hadn’t thought about the other issues you mentioned. I found what sounds like the right replacement hinges at West Marine, but it’ll cost me $190 per hinge to find out if they’re right. I’m leaning towards your solution unless someone comes up with a better option.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 3rd, 2024, 12:48 pm

Have you tried greatlakesskipper.com ? Search Carver OEM parts and hinges. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Ojgami
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ojgami » January 3rd, 2024, 11:26 pm

Thanks Cooler

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”