Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

'98 355 AC V-Berth Leak

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
gmac98004
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Proud new owner - '98 355 Aft Cabin "Invictus"
6BT5.9M 210hp
Formerly - 1986 - 30' Newport MKIII

'98 355 AC V-Berth Leak

Postby gmac98004 » January 6th, 2024, 11:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been fighting this STBD side V-Berth leak for over a year now. With the rain we've had these past few months, it seems my situation has gotten much worse.

The photos I've included show a view looking aft from the STBD side of the V-Berth. The forward head is directly behind that maple bulkhead panel. Hard to see in the photos but the black mildewey area on the bulkhead panel is significant. So we're talking more than just condensation.

Last spring, I rebedded the cleat, 2 stanchion plates and the STBD running lights all of which are above that area in the photos.

After removing the bolster shelf and the upper valance with the curtains, I was able to rule out some things but not sufficiently diagnose where the water is coming from.

Some things I've been able to rule out:
1. The oval window seal seems to be fine. The foam wall covering was dry around that entire perimeter.
2. There doesn't seem to be any trace of dampness or water intrusion from the anchor locker.
3. Using a fancy new borescope with an articulating head, I learned that there isn't much dampness on the AFT side of the bulkhead panel although it is showing some mildew.....just not as intense.
4. There seems to be some buildup of moisture on the lip near the rub rail. This makes me very nervous!
5. Although I feel and see SOME condensation, the foam wall covering UNDER each of the stanchions seems relatively dry.

So............does anyone have any advice or perhaps you've experienced a similar issue? To make matters worse, the only snow we've seen in a couple years is due next weekend! No rebedding project anytime soon!

Lastly, I bought this gem on Amazon Thursday. It arrived yesterday in time for my discovery work today. The articulating head was a serious game changer for fussing with our boat challenges! The video display is crystal clear.
https://a.co/d/5OkJoSR

Many Thanks, Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
amyelias
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: '98 355 AC V-Berth Leak

Postby amyelias » January 10th, 2024, 4:44 pm

Hello,

I haven't had that same issue but am familiar with all the possible areas where water could enter near that bulkhead. Based on all the rebedding/sealing you have already completed I would take a closer look at the rubrail especially since you did observe moisture there... I'm betting removing the rubrail, old sealant and replacing with new sealant will solve your problem.

Good luck!

Canada
MyPleasure
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 36 aft cabin with Volvo 740b engines. Westerbeke 5kw generator. Bought the boat in Portland Oregon in June, and a friend and I brought it up to Sidney, BC. Great trip!

Re: '98 355 AC V-Berth Leak

Postby MyPleasure » February 1st, 2024, 10:54 pm

Hi, we had a leak problem on out 4207. I didn’t remove the rubbing strip, but dug out all the old sealant, then ran green masking tape about a 1/4” from the rubbing strip top and bottom. I then squeezed Sikaflex into both sides of the rubbing strip and NO more leaks! I replaced the Sikaflex every 3 years or so.
Al
1st Carver 1987 32 Aft Cabin
2nd Carver 1989 4207 Aft Cabin
3rd Carver 1995 350 Voyager
4th (current) 1992 36 Carver Aft Cabin

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”