Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Painting the hull above the water line

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Painting the hull above the water line

Postby tgebler » January 22nd, 2024, 1:21 pm

Has anyone painted the hull of their boat above the waterline? If so, can you provide any thoughts about such a project.

i was looking at Interlux Toplac Plus Topside Paint. I would like to know the pros and cons. Thanks.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Painting the hull above the water line

Postby Cooler » January 22nd, 2024, 7:18 pm

Kinda depends on your personal goal. Are you interested in having a different color hull for cosmetic appearance? Are you trying to gain some sort of protection to the above water hull? Just trying to "jazz things up"? Before I would start peeling away the gelcoat and prep for painting, I would look into what the graphics guys could do with a wrap of weather resistant vinyl products. There are some amazing products out there. I have had some 8-) graphic decals on my vessel for years with no fading or weathering issues. Look for a place that installs graphics on semi-trucks and trailers. I striped my Mustang GT a couple years ago. Paint would would been $2K, tape was $350 installed. I don't drive the beast through car washes, so I'm good with decals. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 22nd, 2024, 7:23 pm

What is your reason for wanting to paint the hull? Is there something wrong with the gel coat or are you just looking for a different look?

Topic author United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Postby tgebler » January 23rd, 2024, 11:58 am

Thanks for the comments. Has anyone had their boat wrapped? All of the local shops show their work on boats on trailers. I have a 2000 396 aft cabin so they would have to come to me.

United States of America
boh50
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby boh50 » February 7th, 2024, 12:28 pm

Well it assures protection against UV rays and saltwater, so it's a big plus for me.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”