Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Rain water pooling in battery switch panel box

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
jdb1540
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 350 Mariner

Rain water pooling in battery switch panel box

Postby jdb1540 » April 21st, 2024, 12:24 pm

Recently purchased a 2000 Carver 350 Mariner that had an unresolved water leak that I’m trying to correct. The leak appears to pool in the bottom shelf of the battery switch box. I will post pics of the water damage to help visualize the issue. There is also rust appearing on the white speaker cover that is located above the switch box which makes me think it’s coming from somewhere above and dripping down. Hoping someone has already faced this mystery leak and has a solution for me. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Rain water pooling in battery switch panel box

Postby bud37 » April 21st, 2024, 3:33 pm

Welcome to the forum....

There are a few areas to look at, because this is a liner style boat water can run between the top and lower.
Along the top of the steps on the starboard coaming are some plastic covers , above those is the joint for the radar arch, also the side railing mount, and a hand rail mount if you have that.

Do you have things mounted to the small hard top behind the seat, also the edge joint on the hardtop leaks, on ours I drilled a hole on each side under the back corners to let water out.

The side window rubber seal can also get dried out, shrink and leak.

The starboard rear bridge seat area that has storage under....make sure the thru drains are not plugged, as it drains forward for the most part.

Well you can see there are quite a few areas to address.....good luck man
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

jdb1540
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby jdb1540 » April 21st, 2024, 4:14 pm

Thanks for the places to look. Seems like I got my work cut out for me trying to limit the number of entry points for water. I will update this post once I get more familiar with all these spots you pointed out and start checking them off the list. Appreciate the response.

jdb1540
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby jdb1540 » April 28th, 2024, 4:23 pm

Just an update on leak investigation. I took the speaker, out of the wall, that sits right above the battery switch panel box.
IMG_6412.JPG
Noted rust all along the bottom of the speaker. It doesn't appear that the interior speakers are marine grade so they have no rubber seals. Right behind the speaker is the vent for the engine exhaust.
Carver 350 vent crop.jpg
I am guessing that water got inside the vent and doused the speaker which allowed it to collect water and drip down the interior wall. I have also attached a copy of the water damage inside the switch box.
IMG_6410.JPG
Hoping this will solve the issue. I am also thinking of removing the telephone outlet panel that sits right below the speaker. Not really sure it's needed anymore since we don't have a landline on our boat:) One less point of entry for water into the cabin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”