Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Question re sump

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Question re sump

Postby denpooch » April 23rd, 2024, 4:21 pm

Hey mates,
When I was filling the fresh water tank on my 2005 Mariner I noticed water coming out of one of the thru hulls on the starboard side of the boat. I checked the boat diagram and it labeled the thru hull as 'SUMP'.
Can anyone explain what the might be? I could not hear the sound of any pump working.
Thanks,
Dennis

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Question re sump

Postby g36 » April 23rd, 2024, 5:00 pm

The sump refers to the gray water from galley or head sinks and ac condensate sometimes. Its generally a white square box with float switch and small pump. First I would think that there is a leak in the top of your water tank or the vent hose. So as you were filling your water tank it overfilled into the bilge and I would think the bilge pumps would have pumped this overboard first. Maybe the diagram you looked at is wrong or a bilge pump outlet is. The sumps generally would be higher since the bilge pumps would be at the lowest point however if water flowed into the sump from whatever point including the lid it would pump that out too. Have you looked to see where the hose in the boat from that outlet goes too? To verify. Maybe its a water tank vent hose?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

denpooch
Commander
Commander

Postby denpooch » April 23rd, 2024, 8:25 pm

Hey there. Thanks for your response. I need to take another look at the diagram. Perhaps there is a fill overflow that feeds the sump pump. The flow was not from the bilge as that was dry.
I appreciate your thoughts.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 24th, 2024, 5:03 am

If the bilge is dry I can only think of the vent line for the potable water tank which as you probably know, also acts as an indicator allowing water to flow out when the tank is full . Was there quite a bit of water coming out or just a bit? Is the thru hull located close to the water line or higher up?

Another possibility is a shower sump was just on the edge of going off and was coincidentally triggered.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

denpooch
Commander
Commander

Postby denpooch » April 24th, 2024, 8:00 am

Hey there Hans.
It was a substantial flow. Even when I shut off the water filling the tank there was still flow.
The shower sump was near empty. The previous day I had run the shower water to confirm the sump was functioning properly.
On reflection, the only thing that comes to mind is that there is an over flow for the fresh water fill connected somewhere to the sump. However I must first confirm that indeed the thru hull in question is in fact connected to the shower sump.
I have had experienced a 'mislabeling' by Carver in another instance.
I will run the shower and confirm that indeed the flow is from the shower sump. I think that must be the first step.
I will post the result of my 'look-see'.
Thanks.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 24th, 2024, 9:24 am

the only thing that comes to mind is that there is an over flow for the fresh water fill connected somewhere to the sump. However I must first confirm that indeed the thru hull in question is in fact connected to the shower sump.

This sounds very probable.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » April 24th, 2024, 12:04 pm

There should be an overflow vent on the water tank, but there is no water pump connected to it. Explains why you did not hear any pump noise. The water will just flow out. Maybe the water tank overflow line hose is connected into the sump pump line outflow. Strange, but strange things happen. Curious issue. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

denpooch
Commander
Commander

Postby denpooch » April 25th, 2024, 3:24 pm

Hey there mates. As a follow up to my previous post, I was able to confirm a couple of items and believe that I understand what happened.
First of all, the diagram provided by Carver is totally mislabeled. ( I would post the image but cannot figure out how to do that!). On the starboard side there is a group of 4 thru hulls.Three of four are labeled incorrectly. I tested the sump, followed the lines, etc and determined that the overflow was coming from the Fresh Water Tank Vent Thru Hull.
So that's that. I got my answer.
Thanks for your help with this.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”