Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Screws coming loose from trim tabs - Uh oh!

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Screws coming loose from trim tabs - Uh oh!

Postby Seif911 » June 24th, 2014, 4:07 pm

Hello All,
So my Carver is still stuck in my yard because it won't stop raining and it is like a lake. I am thinking that I have enou time to address a possible nightmare with the trim tabs. On each tab, there were 3-6 screws that have backed out. When I screw them in, they spin. I tried a bigger screw and it worked for some but not others. Thoughts?

I know the obvious concern about the core being possibly wet...I am praying it isn't! Thus far, when I thought the Carver was going to the water, I filled the hold with 5200 and put the screws back in. Now that I have time, what should I do? Should I pull the trim tabs off, open the holes up, fill then up with fiberglass resin and then red rill them and put it all back together?

Any thoughts? Any process better than I mentioned? Should I just leave it alone?

Thanks All,

Steve
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Screws coming loose from trim tabs - Uh oh!

Postby waybomb » June 24th, 2014, 9:27 pm

It will not get any better if you leave it alone, and I'd be real worried about getting the core soaked.

Me, I'd remove one, and inspect the holes. If the wood is wet, dig a little out and see if you can get to dry. If so, then it's time to brush up on fiberglassing skills!
And when all done, I'd through bolt with a backing plate and seal with 5200.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Postby Seif911 » June 24th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Ya, I was real worried last year but it went straight from the purchase site, in Superior, to the water in Sheboygan. I filled the screws that were out last year with 5200 and then it hit the water.

I agree it will not get better. I suppose I will have to dig into it, literally. This is probably the scariest problem I have had this far.
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » June 24th, 2014, 11:29 pm

There are 2 ways of fixing this. The first is what waybomb has suggested, dig it out and get some resin and fill it. Remember when doing this, dig out to where it is dry - and then dig another 1/2". Mix up some west system and fill it in. The second way to do it is the old school way. Dig it out the same way and to the same perimeter. Then, make a template if the hole you have just created. Use that template to make a wooden "plug". Tap the plug into the hole and then glass around the outside perimeter, and then feather the surface with glass. The trick to be successful in either method is to go that extra 1/2" further into the dry core. It's not that scary, even if it's a bigger area than you think, using the "wooden plug" method is quick, easy and very reliable.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”