Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Firboy Intermittent Discharge Alarm

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
crquisto
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 406 Aft Cabin, twin 7.4 gas Mercruisers - Flyboy II

Firboy Intermittent Discharge Alarm

Postby crquisto » September 17th, 2014, 2:07 pm

My 406 Aft Cabin gave me about one second of discharge alarm for the Fireboy engine compartment fire suppression system. After returning to port I got several more intermittent and very short beeps. Its a clean system - not Halon - and the bottle still indicates in the upper part of the normal pressure range, so I suspect an indication failure instead of a discharge. The Fireboy discharge alarm is set off simply by low pressure at the sensor on the bottle. Fireboy says its either a bad pressure sensor requiring an expensive return to the factory for replacement or an electrical break in the sensor wiring. Any ideas out there on where to start on the electrical search. Thought I'd act like a boat owner and try the cheapest route first.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Firboy Intermittent Discharge Alarm

Postby Lyndon670 » September 17th, 2014, 7:00 pm

How long have you owned the boat? Did the gauge show any anomaly?
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

crquisto
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby crquisto » September 17th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Just bought it last month. Have only cruised about 3 hours and all without incident until this weekend.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » September 18th, 2014, 6:23 pm

Did you get a Survey? The state of the bottle would have been outlined on the survey. It's one of the first things they check when they get into the engine room.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

crquisto
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby crquisto » October 14th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Yes, I had a survey which said the bottle should be weighed. I did that and it's about one ounce lighter than the original weight. I figure that could be a scale calibration issue. The guage looks good (in the high green). I talked with Fireboy and they said it's either a loose wire, loss of pressure or a broken bottle. Reseated the connectors and have had no further problems. Thanks for your responses.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » September 4th, 2017, 11:18 pm

I think this is an old post, but I had similar problem last year and after tweaking the wires going into the unit, it stopped giving random discharge alarm. All of a sudden yesterday it started (15 minutes into the trip) beeping regular intervals. Not the discharge alarm though. no red light flashing. I pulled the plug of the unit and plug it back like before, did not help. Not sure what that beep means either. It just keeps beeping, annoying as hell. I was going to yank the wires of the monitor on the helm, but decided to head back with annoying beeping till I figure whats going on. Today I thought it was ok when I started the engine, went to get some fuel, as I started the engine beeping started again. It goes off when engine is off though. Where as the discharge alarm used to be on even when engine was off. Also side note, the new 3 CO carbon monoxide alarms have no power, not sure its related to this beeping. The only thing I can think is I replaced the old radar and chart plotter. Was careful what I cut off. I tried to trace wiring in helm, and looks like red and black are hooked up fine. Also the fire boy alarm did not beep for couple days that I used it after replacing the radar, so not sure its just coincidence. Any ideas from anyone? also what that beep means? is it power? but test button works, makes a different tone beep and red light goes on as it should, so there must be power.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » October 11th, 2017, 2:57 pm

Closing this issue. After resetting CO detectors power and replacing the fireboy alarm on helm, no more problems. So not sure old unit was bad, or CO detectors power somehow affected it, but its all good now.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » October 12th, 2017, 5:00 am

Me thinks CO detectors power and the fireboy alarm on the same power source?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » October 13th, 2017, 12:24 pm

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Me thinks CO detectors power and the Fireboy alarm on the same power source?

you know, you could be right. However there was power to it though when it was going off. That's why I thought may have been old bad unit... who know, least of my problems at this time... :)

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”