Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Starboard Engine

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
bevenfl
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 19' 1889 Carver Mariner

Starboard Engine

Postby bevenfl » September 30th, 2014, 9:49 pm

When I turn on the batteries the starboard engine starts to turn over with noise coming from the battery switch. Is this a problem with the battery switch or could it be related to the ignition switch?

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Starboard Engine

Postby Lyndon670 » September 30th, 2014, 10:35 pm

Are you saying that as soon as you rotate the battery switch from the "off" position to the "on" position that the starboard motor tries to start? If that's the case, sounds like the starboard starter solenoid is stuck in the "on" position.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author
bevenfl
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby bevenfl » October 1st, 2014, 7:31 am

Not immediately. When I first noticed it was when I was sitting in the cabin and used my cell phone. Sometimes it takes 10+ minutes to happen. That's what confuses me. With the batteries off, I went to the bridge and operated the switch several times. Then it took some time but eventually did it again.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » October 1st, 2014, 10:53 am

I would be looking at the neural safety switch, and the starter solenoid. Start with the neutral saftey switch - it's an interrupter circuit on your ignition switch. Not sure about yours, but check for wiring coming from your shifter. Either way it's not expensive, just a pain in the ass.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author
bevenfl
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby bevenfl » October 3rd, 2014, 8:38 am

Thanks, I'll try those. These are 501 gas engines.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”