Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fore to Aft Holding Tank Crossflow

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
crquisto
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 406 Aft Cabin, twin 7.4 gas Mercruisers - Flyboy II

Fore to Aft Holding Tank Crossflow

Postby crquisto » October 14th, 2014, 2:33 pm

When I bought my 2000 Carver 406, one of the first things I did was have the holding tanks pumped out. I noted that the forward Tankwatch III was not giving and indications while the aft tank showed empty when pumped out. I decided to used the forward head/tank only with RV Digest-It in an attempt to clean up the switches on the Tankwatch. After a short while, I got a mid-level light on the aft holding tank. The aft head had not been used. After watching this through several pumpouts and opening the forward holding tank, I've determined that my forward tank is likely draining to the aft holding tank by gravity. Having chased down the sanitary hoses, the only way I see for this to be possible is if the y-valve by the overboard discharge pump has failed and is allowing forward to aft flow. Has anyone ever heard of this? Should I just replace the y-valve? It doesn't turn anyway, but I never pump overboard, so I wouldn't need to replace it for that reason. Cost is not an issue - just hoping to avoid the dreaded onboard sewage spill.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Fore to Aft Holding Tank Crossflow

Postby Lyndon670 » October 14th, 2014, 6:09 pm

That is the only connection between the fore and aft. It must be stuck in the open position allowing the "stuff" to run back. did you try pinching off the hose with large visegrips (with rubber hose on the teeth)? Would be worth a shot to prove your theory.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

crquisto
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby crquisto » October 14th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Haven't tried that. A little afraid of destroying the hose, but based on what you've said and what I've seen, I guess I'll just replace the y-valve. Thanks, and I'll let you know how it comes out.

crquisto
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby crquisto » November 8th, 2014, 9:31 am

Problem is fixed! I don't know how there was a leak because the y-valve appeared ok, but I rebuilt it anyway and have no more problems with cross flow. I pumped everything out first and had minimal drippage which came from the overboard discharge pump but was easily handled by placing absorbent pads under the working area. Two weeks of use and there is no leakage thru to the aft tank.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”