Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine oil choice

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Engine oil choice

Postby Cooler » April 25th, 2024, 12:33 pm

Bought some Mercury brand 25W50 synthetic blend engine oil for oil change. The container says high performance marine applications. My thought is, if this is formulated for HP engines, it should be even more effective with my Crusader 5.7 XL, and offer a high degree of lubrication. I run the engines at 3000 to 3100 RPM most of the time. Talked to a Mercury "certified" mechanic about that oil. His reaction was he would not recommend using this product because it is formulated for Mercury Verado engines only. He said something about an "impact" performance condition, that may negatively affect my Crusaders. Guess I can still exchange for a better suited product, but not convinced I should. VIPER - what do you think? 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Engine oil choice

Postby Viper » April 25th, 2024, 2:26 pm

I wouldn't use that oil in your application, not only is it not designed for your engines, the cost is unnecessary. It's formulated for specific 4 stroke applications including racing and high horsepower engines. Verado is one of them but if he said "Verado only", that is incorrect.

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » April 26th, 2024, 10:46 am

OK, thanks. Will try to exchange for a more standard formula. Is there any engine damage potential? ( just in case I can't exchange ). 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 27th, 2024, 7:25 am

Really depends on what your engine calls for. If the requirements are close it's not that concerning, but if they are a couple of grades apart, that could be damaging as thicker oil doesn't flow as easily in an engine designed to use a thinner grade due to tighter tolerances. Depending on the engine, even at proper operating temps the thicker oil might not protect as well, will reduce engine efficiency, won't transfer as much heat (essential) which can lead to other issues, and reduces fuel economy.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”