Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

oil additives

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
e burger
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 36 ft. carver v3607 aft cabin
1977 30.ft. pacemaker
1973 30 ft Burns craft house boat

oil additives

Postby e burger » June 28th, 2015, 10:17 pm

I am not a fan of additives except seafoam but I have a small issue that I would like some help with. I have a carver 3607 aft cabin with crusader 350 engines. Approx a week ago the port engine started blowing a small amount of smoke thru the exhaust, not enough to leave a sheen on the water (rings no doubt). I P.M. the motor sat and the plugs were clean so it is a new and small bypass. If this were my truck I could snatch the motor, do rings and bearings and reinstall in a long weekend, but this is not only a boat it is an aft cabin, the engine well is in the middle of the salon. To compound the issue I have family that want to spend a three day 4Th of july weekend out. We are crusers 1100/1200 rpms 6/7 knots so I can watch the oil and I will be ok but I hate the thought of the pollution issue. Has anyone had any success with any oil additive. The boat is an 84 so the engines are ready for a rebuild. Have a great day Ed

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Re: oil additives

Postby AaHubb » June 29th, 2015, 8:07 pm

If the smoke is from oil and not steam you could just have some gummed up rings. One trick I used 'long ago' was to do an oil change but the last quart was either solvent or tranny fluid. I would run the engine for a 100 miles or so then change oil again using a good detergent oil. Really helped reduce the blue smog some of my old cars left behind.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: oil additives

Postby waybomb » June 29th, 2015, 8:21 pm

I've done that too AaHubb.
On a boat though, I wouldn't run it long and run at low rpms.

On a non-boat subject, a friend's mother had an 80s Impala, mint, hardly any miles, like maybe 20k, never changed the oil drove a max of a couple miles at a time. The engine was clanking and knocking and not sounding good at all. He asked me to take a look at it. The oil was like crude - thicker than any gear oil I've ever seen. Opened up the drain plug and had to help the sludge out with a screwdriver.
Filled that puppy up with diesel fuel, started her up for a few minutes. Drained it, and did that maybe 5 or 6 times. Changed the filter and 5 quarts of 10 40, ran it for a day around town, changed it all again, gave it back to her, and a good scolding to her, told her change oil every 3 months no matter how many miles she drove. I lost touch with them many moons ago, but that Impala ran for at least another 10 years.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”