Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Transmission Overheat

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Asset Allocation
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 356 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht

Transmission Overheat

Postby Asset Allocation » July 26th, 2015, 12:59 pm

I have a '99 355 with Crusader 454's. It's been a little over a month since I took her out and both engines wouldn't go past 3200 RPM maintaining 18-19 mph WOT. She can usually go up to 29 mph WOT so figured the marine growth was causing the strain and hoped some of the growth would fall off and her speed would improve slightly... but never did. About 20 minutes into the trip the transmission oil overheat light came on the port engine thus the computer forced both engines to power down (but did not shut off). The light went out after the power down also. I put her in neutral then back in gear and putted all the way back to the marina at about 1200 RPM with no other warnings or issues. I didn't attempt to bring her up on plane again because I was just happy she was moving. Marine growth issue? Sensor issue? Any thoughts I can tell the mechanic to check into? Thanks everyone!

Brent
"Asset (Re)Allocation"
:captain:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Transmission Overheat

Postby Viper » July 26th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Check that the tranny fluid is in good shape and topped up. You may have a clogged tranny oil cooler. Do the engine temps remain normal during the fault?

Asset Allocation
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Asset Allocation » July 30th, 2015, 8:17 am

++Update++
I had the bottom cleaned clearing all intakes, props and rudder. That did the trick! The bottom was pretty good but the running gear and intakes had sea grapes and gunk stuck on it. After a good cleaning she runs like a top....now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Asset Allocation
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Asset Allocation » July 30th, 2015, 8:20 am

To answer the engine temp question yes, they remained in normal temp status...that part is amazing considering the marine growth on the intakes.

Asset Allocation
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Asset Allocation » July 30th, 2015, 8:21 am

Also if anyone was wondering...my location is Portsmouth, Virginia off of the Elizabeth river. Other boaters have a diver who clean their hulls supposedly on a monthly basis so I guess the marine growth is that bad.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » July 30th, 2015, 12:13 pm

Wow, that's something.
We kept our boat in Ventura, CA for 3 years. Paid a diver monthly to clean the bottom and change out zincs whenever needed. It was worth the peace of mind if nothing else.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”