Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anybody know what this is?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
Washopay
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 3807 Aft twin 7.4 Mercruisers
1984 3207 twin 270 Crusdaers

Postby Washopay » August 21st, 2015, 12:39 pm

Hi boys,
I'm having a problem with my Onan Genny. I believe I've isolated it down to a fuel issue. Does any body know what this silver can on the right is? It is past the filter on the fuel line leading to the genny.
IMG_3070.JPG
IMG_3069.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Anybody know what this is?

Postby bud37 » August 21st, 2015, 4:49 pm

It is a fuel filter , just a different style.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 23rd, 2015, 8:55 pm

Yes, in-line fuel filter. Not needed there though. In fact it may cause problems. What symptoms are you experiencing?

Topic author Canada
Washopay
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Washopay » August 24th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Viper wrote:Yes, in-line fuel filter. Not needed there though. In fact it may cause problems. What symptoms are you experiencing?

Beginning of the season, it sputtered to halt after 1/2 hour run time. Then 20 minutes. I'm down to about 5 now. I've put a thermal gun to it and it is not overheating (I think if it was a sensor grounding it would shut right off not sputter to a stop). I've replaced the sensor to be sure, and the oil pressure sensor (Level is good). Thermostat, strainer, impeller, all good.

It starts fine, runs fine then suddenly starts to sputter and fart and then just dies. I found that a new marina I have been buying gas from is providing fuel with 10% ethanol (arrrgh). I'm thinking this might be the source of my problem. Sooooo.... I'm going to replace the filters next and try. Then (I suppose), I have to check the tanks to see if there is water.

I'm wide open to other ideas! Thanks Viper and Bud37

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 24th, 2015, 7:17 pm

One thing about ethanol...it is a form of solvent which will clean your fuel system over time especially old tanks....the bad thing is that it puts the crap in suspension which passes thru filters and drops out in the carb while not in use.....you just may have a bad fuel pump there as well, may be worth a look....pretty simplistic answer as those gennies have many many things that screw them up, but that is all I know about ethanol fuel....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Low Flyer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355 MY
Mercruiser Bluewater 454's

Postby Low Flyer » August 25th, 2015, 2:01 am

Replace that fuel filter, take it out of the line or/and add fuel stabilizer to your fuel system.
You may just have a partially clogged fuel filter (inline filter that shouldn't be there) that is restricting the fuel flow.
A fuel stabilizer should be part of your re-fueling regime to help inhibit ethanol and water problems.
"Water Wings II"
1998 355 Aft Cabin

Topic author Canada
Washopay
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Washopay » August 27th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. After all the effort, changed filters and sensors etc. etc. etc. It turned out to be a clogged fuel vent that was creating a vacuum and starving the pump. Loosened the filler cap and she runs great. Anybody know how to clean the vent line or am I best to just replace it?

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » January 5th, 2016, 3:36 pm

Does the vent have a screen in it? If not, then just push some wire down the hole to clear the vent line. Mud daubers often will clog these vents if they are unscreened. If your vent is screened, you will need to remove it to clean the line. Good luck! :down:
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”