Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1997 Carver 405 Gas Engines

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

1997 Carver 405 Gas Engines

Postby Wayne162 » September 21st, 2015, 5:31 pm

I have a question on the 405's gas engines that I am having surveyed and sea trialed tomorrow. The boat has Crusader 454's in it but I don't know the model # to get maintenance or manual info on the specs of the engines. I have been told that they are 454 XL's, but I am not sure as anything I have read refers to the XL's as having carbs. These engines are fuel injected and appear very clean. Could they be 454 XLi's? While mechanically inclined, I am not sure of the difference between the XL or Xli, and have no idea what the MP stands for. Looking for guidance on these engines for the novice and anyplace to get more factual info on them. Thanks in advance.

:help:

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1997 Carver 405 Gas Engines

Postby g36 » September 25th, 2015, 9:49 am

i have the same boat same engines
the fuel injected version is the xli
youll love this boat and the room inside and in the engine room to work on it
i have the manuals for it and can forward what you need to get if you purchase the boat.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Re: 1997 Carver 405 Gas Engines

Postby Wayne162 » September 25th, 2015, 10:15 am

Thanks g36,
I surveyed and sea trialed the boat on Tuesday. The engines are throttled Crusader 454 XL's w/EFI 320 hp each. They were in the cleanest engine room I think I've ever seen. We planed nicely and fast and had no problem reaching 4250 RPM's at 25 Knot's. What a ride!!!!!

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”