Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Drive units

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
Ilboy217
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver Mariner 330

Drive units

Postby Ilboy217 » January 30th, 2016, 9:38 pm

Question. I'm kinda new to the inboard thing. Why would someone have the drive shafts and props plus have out drives?

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Drive units

Postby RGrew176 » January 31st, 2016, 2:42 am

I have never seen a boat with both I/O's (outdrives) and inboards. If you have I certainly would like to see a picture of such a boat.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Drive units

Postby Ramsport47 » January 31st, 2016, 7:39 am

They wouldn't have both. Their boat is one or the other, and they may not know which it is. That sounds weird, but working at a marina for 35 years, it amazes me how many people don't know what powers their boats. When looking up parts, it is not uncommon for me to ask them "what color is your engine?" or "is the prop below or behind the boat?". The response is usually..."it's a Chevy engine...I need parts for a Chevy engine". Me: "They are all Chevy engines and the parts vary as to who made it the marine engine. Now, do you want me to guess, or would you go find out for me?" LOL
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Drive units

Postby Ramsport47 » January 31st, 2016, 7:40 am

Sorry,that was a bit of a rant....
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Drive units

Postby Viper » January 31st, 2016, 9:25 am

Now that would be a new one for me but just when I think I've seen it all, something makes me scratch my head. Nothing surprises me anymore! Other than those rare times, it usually does boil down to misinformation.

Kenny, I know exactly what you mean about owners not knowing much about the hardware they have. Considering a vessel is something you put yours and your family's life in it's hands every time you head out, I find not familiarizing yourself with a basic knowledge of it's inner workings a little difficult to understand. I've ran into people that haven't so much as opened the hatch to their engine compartment. I understand that some folks just don't have a DIY bone in their body and pay others to do it all for them but wouldn't one at least feel the need to know what's down there and whether it's clean?

And that's MY rant for the day ;-)

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Drive units

Postby SplashyLady » February 1st, 2016, 4:16 pm

Ilboy217 wrote:
> Question. I'm kinda new to the inboard thing. Why would someone have the drive shafts
> and props plus have out drives?

Sometimes it can be a long way from the engine to the outdrive, so some boats put a driveshaft in to make up the difference from the engine output to the outdrive input. Putting the engine all the way stern makes some boats aft-heavy, so the boat builder will move the engine forward to correct the center of gravity. Then you must have a driveshaft if you want to run outdrives.
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Drive units

Postby Viper » February 1st, 2016, 10:33 pm

I thought of that too John but given that the OP mentions "drive shafts and props", I gotta think that he's referring to inboard running gear. Maybe we'll get an update and some clarification.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”