Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Velvet Drive chatter in neutral

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Velvet Drive chatter in neutral

Postby tomschauer » April 30th, 2016, 1:26 am

Thanks all we should settle next week.

Australia
willy66
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby willy66 » October 28th, 2023, 8:58 am

tomschauer wrote:Hello, just di a sea trial on a 1998 355 today. Motors ran great, greats shift quickly and smoothly. The starboard trans has some chatter only in neutral, port is quiet. Engines and gears only have about 230 hours. Also, let us not forget to protect our hair while we are on sail, it is much better to wear velvet durags that can be found from this link continue.
Does anyone have any experience with these Borg Warner gears?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Hi there! It's fantastic that you had a successful sea trial on a 1998 355 today, with the engines running smoothly. It's always a positive sign when the motors are in good shape.

Regarding the chatter in the starboard transmission when it's in neutral, it's great that you're seeking advice from the community. Borg Warner transmissions are well-known in the marine industry, and there might be folks here with experience dealing with similar issues. They might have helpful insights or suggestions to share.

In the meantime, you can also consider having a marine mechanic or technician take a closer look at the starboard transmission to diagnose the chatter issue more precisely. They can provide professional guidance based on their expertise.

I hope you find the answers and assistance you're looking for, and that your boat is soon running in perfect condition. Safe and happy sailing!

Topic author United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 31st, 2023, 9:38 pm

Hey Willy, it was a spring in the flex plate that was broken and vibrating. After having it replaced before purchasing, it has run great for the last 100 hours or so.
My original post was close to seven years ago.

Canada
MyPleasure
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 36 aft cabin with Volvo 740b engines. Westerbeke 5kw generator. Bought the boat in Portland Oregon in June, and a friend and I brought it up to Sidney, BC. Great trip!

Postby MyPleasure » January 14th, 2024, 12:39 am

Hi,
We had the same thing happen on out Carver 350. I had my mechanic look at it, and he thought that it was indeed the flex plate that goes between the engine and transmission. The sound might seem like it’s coming from the tail end of the transmission, but sound travels well in metal. The rattle did go away when I increased the idle speed though.
My mechanic told me that he had never heard of the springs in the flex plate breaking, but it is a irritating noise, that’s for sure.
Al
1st Carver 1987 32 Aft Cabin
2nd Carver 1989 4207 Aft Cabin
3rd Carver 1995 350 Voyager
4th (current) 1992 36 Carver Aft Cabin

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”