Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel filter change

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Fuel filter change

Postby Viper » July 6th, 2016, 11:05 pm

After Taxes wrote:Source of the post....I never filled the new filters with fuel prior to spinning them on, and experienced no issues on start up. However, an old salt boater told me that he always fills his new filters with fuel before installing them, as he is preventing an air lock or issues with the fuel pump.

Does anyone have comments or experience in this?

Cheers all,
Steve

Some electric fuel pumps will fail much quicker than normal if they run dry for just a few seconds as they are lubricated by the fuel they pump. I err on the side of caution and fill the filter first.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » July 11th, 2016, 4:07 pm

2 days ago the mechanic said the spark plugs were bad and replaced them (and they did look bad), try to go out after half hour made a hasty return back to dock as RPM started going all over the place. Got them back this morning and we all went out along with their tools. Luckily engine failed while they were there. Problem was occurring while there was load on engine. Basically turns out the fuel sensor regulator was acting erratically. it was starting around 55psi, and when we revved up to 3200RPM, at random time it was going to 70....80psi. That's when RPM indicator started to go wild. And then it would go up to 100psi and engine was cutting out. So they tested starboard side which was about 35psi on idle and about 40psi under load. So to test further they released pressure when it was around 80psi down to about 50psi and engine came back to normal. Conclusion the fuel sensor regular is bad. They ordered the part, standing by. Fingers crossed, hope this will resolve the issue and we can start taking it out without stress :)

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » July 11th, 2016, 6:26 pm

Good luck!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 14th, 2016, 11:38 am

Here we are again, got response from boat yard after replacing fuel pressure regulator.
"Good News! We have eliminated the fuel issue with your boat. Bad News! The boat does not run over 2500 rpm without the port engine faltering and the max rpm is 3400. We think this is something electronic—throttle position sensor or map sensor. I have called Bay Shore Marine who is the Mercruiser dealer. They are even more booked than we are and will not be able to look at the engine until the week of the 25th. I am proceeding to fill out the work order for them to get you on the list for that week. You can still use the boat this weekend. You will notice that at 2500 rpm the port engine will start to lose power, this is not to say it will quit and you will be stranded, we just want you to understand what you will be experiencing."

I got a bad feeling on this $$$$. Any ideas on anyone with similar experience and what was the solution?
With bad pressure regulator it was going up to 3400 rpm, but dying at random time. Now it is replaced, why would it not go past 2500rpm?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 14th, 2016, 4:40 pm

Just an idea, but when you had the tanks emptied, there is no way they got all the fuel. Pull your filter off again and empty the contents into a clear container. You may have just sucked up the sludge and water. If it looks bad, also pull your dip tube from the tank and clean the screen and anti siphon valve.
You just may save a couple $$$$.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 14th, 2016, 9:56 pm

cpoint wrote:Source of the post Here we are again.....what was the solution?....

The solution is to take it to someone that knows what they're doing!!

As I tried to relay earlier, this needs to be diagnosed properly to find the real cause. Throwing parts at it until they find one that solves the problem is amateurish, anybody can do that. This will get very costly if this is the course of action they continue to take. They need to follow a systematic diagnostic process. Test results don't lie, and guessing costs money. It also helps if they have experience!

Ask them what the first few diagnostic questions are that the Merc Help Desk would ask for the test results of if they called before they even bothered to go any further. If they don't know that answer, then they haven't called and likely not performed the tests!

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 15th, 2016, 1:02 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Just an idea, but when you had the tanks emptied, there is no way they got all the fuel. Pull your filter off again and empty the contents into a clear container. You may have just sucked up the sludge and water. If it looks bad, also pull your dip tube from the tank and clean the screen and anti siphon valve.
You just may save a couple $$$$.

Thanks tom, but checked several times since the tank emptied, and fuel is coming out clean in the filter. So I do not believe there is bad fuel issue anymore. I think its residual of the bad fuel and engines not being used long time side effect on some of the parts and sensors.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 15th, 2016, 1:10 am

Viper, I agree. Actually the boat yard is suppose to be good, talked to others who's been using them for long time. The mechanics seems to know what they are looking for. They do not have unfortunately the computer to read the codes. They say all engines do not use generic code reader like cars do. We took the boat out and they were doing the pressure testing en-route. Based on that and other factors they pinpoint the surge and engine cutoff to the fuel pressure regulator and replacing that corrected the problem. Now they scheduled mercur people to read the code to see what is causing it to top off at 2500 rpm. I believe that will resolve the issue, I hope. Definitely costing a pretty penny. I believe I can at least take it out this weekend, I think 2500 rpm is good enough to cruise in the bay area.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 15th, 2016, 6:38 am

Actually if they are not a Merc dealer, at the very least they should have Diacom which will diagnose Merc, Crusader, Volvo, Marine Power, Pleasurecraft, and a few others. A good shop should have that, Merc's CDS, and G3 if they deal with the most recent builds such as DTS, Zeus, Axius, and Vodia if they're Volvo as well.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 28th, 2016, 11:07 pm

Here is an update, computer readout showed no problems. But a day before they came by I tried to start the engines, all of a sudden starboard side started to die out. Turns out fuel pump died on it. Got it replaced, port side still problem, they need to take it out to see whats the problem, but came back with both tanks have bad bad fuel (phase separation). So I called the guys who had emptied the tank before back to completely empty, flush and empty both port, starboard and aux tank. Then I am hoping everything on port engine works OK, that would be the good news, as I already paid for spark plugs, and fuel sensor replacement on port side. So now I am waiting for fuel to be extracted, then get more fuel in it and get it checked out and hope for the best :cry: :confused: :banghead: Funny note on the side, there is apparently booster pump for the engines I got, some suggested getting it, but got a quote, its $509 per engine to protect main fuel pump which is $503 :) why bother I said.
Last edited by cpoint on October 3rd, 2016, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”