Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel filter change

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Fuel filter change

Postby Viper » July 29th, 2016, 7:07 am

I hope they're going through a proper diagnostic process and not just throwing parts at it in hopes that one of the parts will do the trick. :angry:

If the tanks had a lot of water, and the engines ran on that for a while, it's likely just a matter of time before all the fuel pumps fail. As mentioned before, fuel is what lubricates them.

At the beginning of all this, I had suggested running each engine on a remote tank (with fresh fuel). Did anybody try this yet?

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » July 29th, 2016, 9:54 am

I had it extracted, so I thought so anyway. But looks like it was not done properly and fuel was still bad. I thought I was running on clean fuel after extraction. I am unfortunately not an expert by any means and depend on the mechanic and hope they are honest and experts. I tried to go to ones with good references, but sometimes good references do not work I guess. In any case, this coming week we will be extracting fuel from all tanks, get them flushed out and make sure we are running on clean fuel this time. and see how things go from there. At least one is new fuel pump, port side was OK at dock, mechanic will check it at sea trial once we are on clean fuel. On a side note, any comments on booster pump? I know they were more expensive than main pump. Anyone here with carver 356 gas engine using it?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 29th, 2016, 10:21 am

There should be no reason to use a "booster" pump. The standard pump, if functioning properly is more than sufficient to supply fuel to the engine. Also, I believe the standard pumps are meant to see negative or neutral pressure on the inlet side. A "booster" pump then would also need to have a regulator installed and set at near zero PSI. This adds two more places of potential failure for each engine. Something I personally would avoid. Not to mention the additional $$.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » July 29th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Fix the problem. You do not need a booster pump.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 29th, 2016, 3:12 pm

Thanks, agreed no booster pump.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 8th, 2016, 10:30 pm

Did they find the problem yet?

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » August 12th, 2016, 1:29 pm

No, disappointing that it is. I extracted all 3 fuel tanks this time. Felt OK with new fuel pump on starboard side and clean fuel on all tanks. the port side was fine up to 2100rpm, past that would fluctuate again. So went around a little bit at least to get some time on board before summer is over. They came back this morning and said the port side fuel pump is definitely bad. Was having difficulty starting it this morning also. So they ordered a new one. Another week will go by, Tuesday/Wednesday next week it is supposed to be installed. I will give an update.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » August 19th, 2016, 10:27 am

Finally engines are backup, both with new fuel pumps. but can't get past 10 knots, because of lack of use for last 4 months bottom had growth, so waiting on diver to cleanup. I do have one minor issue on the RPM gauge, left one is moving around a bit, but it is just the indicator, not engine. there is no surge on engine. So any ideas if I can fin one that matched the other? any one knows any sources?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 19th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Check for clean and tight connections at the tach and distributor. If ok and tach still moves you can replace it with any brand that fits and is set up for a v-8 with electronic ignition, which is almost any tach you will find.
:-)

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » August 20th, 2016, 12:44 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Check for clean and tight connections at the tach and distributor. If ok and tach still moves you can replace it with any brand that fits and is set up for a v-8 with electronic ignition, which is almost any tach you will find.
:-)

Thanks Tom, planning on doing exactly that tomorrow. I am hoping maybe dirty contacts or something. Otherwise I would have to replace both, as I can't seem to find the one that's just like it. It will drive me crazy every time I look and both sides look different :)

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”