Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler 7.5 generator

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
tc'sbackporch
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 carver 4207

Kohler 7.5 generator

Postby tc'sbackporch » May 26th, 2016, 8:47 pm

Kohler 7.5 r gas generator not pumping water and shuts down in 30 seconds . checked impeller looked great but went ahead and replaced it anyway still not pumping water . any help would be appreciated

jhasten46
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 396 Aft Cabin

Re: Kohler 7.5 generator

Postby jhasten46 » May 26th, 2016, 10:14 pm

I have a 11 KW Kohler on my Carver 396 and experienced the same problem. Mine problem was due the pump bearing was seizing and burnt the belt off. I replaced the pump and reconnected the supply and hose to the heat exchanger and had no flow. First check the thru hull valve to make sure it is open, my was not. The thru hull screen can also be clogged with algae or in my case zebra mussels and make sure supply hose is clear which mine was clogged with mussels. I had a fellow skipper tell me to burp the heat exchanger which I did, buy still had no water flow. After all else failed, I disconnected the supply and heat exchanger hose at the new pump and reversed their connection. Even though I had taken a picture prior to old pump removal and reconnected hoses to new pump exactly like the old pump was connected. Reversing the hoses worked???? Still don't know why, but my Genset runs fine now. Best of luck in your endeavor!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 26th, 2016, 10:31 pm

Start with the simple stuff; I assume the seacock is open? If there is a strainer, ensure it is clean and filled with water. Remove the raw water line from the pump, lay it low in the bilge and see if you have free water flow. You should get something because the strainer if applicable should be below the waterline. If you have free flow, hook back up tot he pump and remove the hose from the output side of the pump, run the engine and see if there is water pumping out. If there isn't, the issue is from the pump to the hull intake. Could also be a loose hose clamp letting in air, or a hole in the hose.

It could be that your pump needs to be primed however I have very rarely run into this with a generator. There may be a reason why it isn't priming on its own.

If the new impeller ran for 30 seconds dry, it may be toast now if you didn't lubricate it at installation. If the wear plate is scored, the pump won't work efficiently. This should have been checked when the old impeller was removed. That and other issues will cause the same sympton.

Topic author United States of America
tc'sbackporch
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 carver 4207

Postby tc'sbackporch » June 1st, 2016, 4:47 pm

thanks for the input finally found out my exhaust was stopped up so we took it apart and flushed even the muffler out and has run perfect since

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 1st, 2016, 6:10 pm

Darn, it wasn't the in, it was the out. Good to know, if we can remember it when it happens to us! LOL-Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”