Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine Not Starting

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
Wanderlust
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 32' Convertible. "Wanderlust"

Engine Not Starting

Postby Wanderlust » June 6th, 2016, 3:57 pm

Hi Seasoned Trusted Friends!

Some of you are following our new boat ownership tails and the Port engine that was previously working really well is not starting! It ran last week just fine while we were running both to troubleshoot the starboard engine overheat (which is now fixed yeah!). The port engine will crank but will not turn over. The starter solenoids were green so we replaced both of them. New spark plugs, and a new ignition rotor. We originally thought the fuel gauge was reading incorrectly and it was out of fuel so they added a bit into the carbs, didn't fire up. The oil pressure read well when it was running so I don't think it seized. What do you guys think?

Chris

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Engine Not Starting

Postby mjk1040 » June 6th, 2016, 7:12 pm

The port engine will crank but will not turn over? I can not decipher this statement. If an engine is cranking I assume it is turning over. If it's not then it could be a bunch of different things. It sounds like it is not firing, coil gone, do you have points or an upgraded electronic ignition, guess we need more precise information. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author
Wanderlust
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 32' Convertible. "Wanderlust"

Postby Wanderlust » June 6th, 2016, 8:02 pm

Hi Mike,

It will crank but not start.

It's a 1987 so I'm guessing it has points.

Chris

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 6th, 2016, 9:32 pm

What engines? You say you replaced the rotor, what condition was the cap in and why not replace it while you have it off so you eliminate that as a possible culprit?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 6th, 2016, 11:51 pm

if it cranks, it is not seized.
for combustion you need compression fuel /air mixture and spark. If you put some fuel down the carb and it didn't even try to fire its time to look at the spark. Even if you had a bad cap and or rotor, it would most likely give you a sputter or more. Check the small wires to the coil. with the ignition switch on you should get 12 +/- volts. Not knowing your mechanical abilities, and not wanting to lead you to a good shock I will stop here. Let me know what you know and we can go further.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 7th, 2016, 4:55 am

If it's the original ignition system, I'm guessing the cap is corroded, clean or replace it. It's obvious its not getting any spark, and you have most likely flooded it by now. Pull #1 plug and see if its wet. If you do not have voltage to the coil, I would check the wire harness plug for voltage to the coil, plug pins could be corroded. Have someone turn it over and wiggle the wire harness near the plug. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”