Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

gas engine choices for a repower

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: gas engine choices for a repower

Postby bud37 » July 15th, 2016, 11:01 am

Its raining up here today. :approve: So a little more hp....did they just create that with more cam duration ( overlap ) , or better head design??? Would all of the higher hp 7.4's be like that even from crusader etc, did they all just buy crates from GM at specified HP then add there own stuff.
Wonder if they all have the offshore cast parts as well ??
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 15th, 2016, 11:07 am

Its raining up here today :approve: How did they make the extra power ,more duration ( overlap) or better head design ??Do all of the 7.4's at the same power do it the same way, I guess what I am trying to say is do all of them Merc, Crsader etc just buy GM crates at a specified hp then add their own stuff ??

Whoops didn't see the page change :blush:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » July 15th, 2016, 12:22 pm

If you change the hp/torque, then you also have to consider re-propping, maybe even heavier drives. And if you do a different hp long block, you can expect upgrading carburetor as well. And completely different manufacturer, then you have to change rigging and wiring. And if you have a closed cooling system, expect the need for more heat removal. And more hp means using more fuel.

If it were me, on a pleasure boat, I'd replace like-for-like, exactly.

I know all too well what horsepower and torque changes cost. Starting at 3 props at 3500 each. 6 carbs. and on and on.....
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 15th, 2016, 5:56 pm

waybomb wrote:Source of the post I know all too well what horsepower and torque changes cost. Starting at 3 props at 3500 each. 6 carbs. and on and on.....

Now that sounds like some first hand add on pain....seems like its almost as much or more to change all the peripheral stuff. Believe that we would stick with the same power/ torque range as the originals though.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”