Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Enigines out of sync then back in

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
denders
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Enigines out of sync then back in

Postby denders » August 7th, 2016, 6:59 pm

Hi all - looking for a place to start with this one. We have a 1982 3396 Carver Mariner with twin 350 crusader engines. As we were coming back from a day trip all of a sudden the engine sync gauge would drift to the port side ( about 3/4 of the way ) then after a second or 2 it would come back to center. You could hear a difference in the engines so it shouldn't be just a gauge issue. This would happen every 10 or 15 minutes - The Tach's did not show a difference in RPM in either engine but given the sync was only off by a little I am not surprised. We were cruising around 7 / 7.5 knots. Any thoughts would be appreciated. As an addendum - We went out again and it the issue did not reoccur until we we out about 40 minutes or so.

Thanks in advance

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Enigines out of sync then back in

Postby Viper » August 7th, 2016, 10:44 pm

If you could hear a difference in rpm in the engines, it should have been reflected in the tach readings. Sometimes poor connections will cause this symptom or a sync gage that is on it's way out.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » August 8th, 2016, 10:17 am

My Sync guage seems to have a mind of its own. Since I have had the boat I have always used the tachs and the sound of the engines as my sync. Out of curiosity, where is that sync guage connected to at the the engine end?

Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 8th, 2016, 10:12 pm

They can get piggy-backed off the tachs

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”