Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Changing Velvet V drive oil

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Changing Velvet V drive oil

Postby mjk1040 » September 22nd, 2017, 6:33 pm

Another consideration is that Dextron does not expand as much as hydraulic fluid will when heated up. Also after u extract what u can from the transmission, if u have room u may be able to pull the drain plug and get the remaining fluid out. I know some drain plugs are accessible and some are not.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Changing Velvet V drive oil

Postby bud37 » September 23rd, 2017, 8:58 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I don't think I would go to the standard hydraulic fluid. The later velvet drives call for dextron II, which is also a hydraulic fluid but has been improved over the years to stand up to more heat etc.

The main reason is that both trans started leaking ( very light drip ) this year after the change to ATF, I would not have changed if the 424 was available up here then.The ATF has a viscosity of about 30 cst ....the 424 about 55 cst , so maybe this is the reason , boat has had almost no engine hours this year.This process is time consuming and oil wasting to do because of the flushing, if the hose ends were accessible it would be easier to do and there are no drain plugs, remember these units are a shared sump setup with oil for the gears and the trans common to both.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”