Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Port Engine Fluttered?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Port Engine Fluttered?

Postby mjk1040 » October 29th, 2016, 1:39 pm

1998 Fresh water cooled Crusaders, 7.4L XLI's @ 600 hours
The last evening booze cruise my port engine faltered. We were cruising
around 1800 and she acted like  I got a slug of water? I had just fueled up
a day or two before the cruise with a can of sea foam in each tank,and we were running both engines on the aux. tank. I switched over to the side tanks, yet the port engine didn't
feel just right. The temps were running at the 140 mark and oil pressure
was at 70 psi. However the port oil pressure gauge flickered and still
flickers even after annual oil change with 40W, and still does. Port engine
seems to warm up faster than the starboard engine. Hooked up the code
reader and there are no fault codes. Most certainly going to change out the
fresh water impellers and fuel filters before launch this spring just so I
know. When the incident happened, the port exhaust seemed to have a little
more steam coming out of it than the starboard engine. Will check for water
when I change the fuel filters and drain them into a clear contain.
Another thought just came to mind, to check wire harness and gauge connections and possibly change out the oil sending unit. Like I said the oil gauge still flickers at the 70 psi mark, when prior to this incident it was always steady.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Port Engine Fluttered?

Postby Viper » October 29th, 2016, 4:43 pm

Mike, I forgot to touch on your exhaust. The steam may or may not be an issue. This can be caused by low raw water flow or a restriction in the exhaust elbows. Instead of a large stream of water exiting the elbow and mixing with the hot exhaust, a restriction at the elbow would spray water into the hot exhaust which would burn off easier and cause steam. Also consider that this is typically more prevalent at this time of year with the colder water temps. Again, this is something you'll have to check after the impellers are replaced in the Spring and you're launched.

PS; The same water temps will exist at Spring launch. After the impellers are replaced, see if you still get steam. Check the exhaust hoses, they should not be getting hot. Proper water flow should keep the temps down. You have the other engine to come to. AN IR temp gun comes in handy here.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”