Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Loses power at 2000 RPM

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Re: Loses power at 2000 RPM

Postby jcoll » March 1st, 2017, 11:54 am

Good point on the in-carb fuel filter but, I would think (at least I'd hope) they were replaced when the carb was rebuilt. Pressure and volume test on fuel delivery would be helpful information - even with a new pump already installed. Possibly some restriction involving the fuel tank pickup, which I gather you were already thinking about since you decided not to cut a hole in the side of the boat. How's the fuel quality? Checking for timing control as mentioned is necessary also. Any idea what engine vacuum is? Exhaust restrictions (-doubtful-) or intake restrictions come to mind. Not much there to restrict but "stuff" happens.

United States of America
nesskay
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Montego 2757

Postby nesskay » May 12th, 2017, 7:44 am

Hope the issue was resolved. We just had extensive work done on our 1988 Montego, outdrive replaced, upper engine rebuilt, etc. We cannot get the RPM's over 3500. Engine runs well,but labors at that RPM. I do not think that any of the above ideas have been checked. Thanks so much for the ideas.

United States of America
nesskay
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Montego 2757

Postby nesskay » May 12th, 2017, 7:52 am

Would like to join this discussion. Should I do the same checks on my 1988 Montego? It doesn't get above 3500 RPM and mechanic said it should be 4800. It has a Volvo 290 engine

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 12th, 2017, 9:24 am

When you say it labors at 3500 can you describe that a bit more? What engine(s) do you have, and did you replace the outdrive with the correct gear ratio outdrive?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”