Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Exhaust Risers Crusader 454 XLi

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Re: Exhaust Risers Crusader 454 XLi

Postby Wayne162 » January 13th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Hey bud37,
I don't think its the riser itself because they are new, I am suspicious of the exhaust manifold underneath. Not sure if its possible if a broken fin from the pump impeller could cause that strict of a blockage. That's why I'm doing a new raw water pump too. I changed out the starboard side pump last year and was planning on a new one anyway.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 13th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Thats what I was suggesting......high temp is what drops the salt out.....so if the manifold is restricted then your risers will maybe have been running warmer than they should, making the whole situation worse....maybe its time to take the manifolds off and check things out.....check your hose run from the discharge side of your raw water pump as well ,there could be pump bits from previous owner in there even if you find the current impeller intact.Maybe just as simple as old impeller bits.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Postby Wayne162 » March 1st, 2018, 5:25 pm

Update: I found the temp issue I was having on my Port engine . I removed and inspected most of the raw water cooling lines, replacing the thermostat and both upper and lower housing pieces for the thermostat. I replaced the raw water pump with a rebuild through an E-bay vendor. The job was half the price and nicely done and timely by Rawpumps (Crusader Raw Water Pump SEND IN SERVICE PCM Pleasurecraft P1012 RA057031 P1014 ). I eventually pulled the inboard water line off where it connects at the aft bottom of the exhaust manifold. I had no water run out? Looking in the fitting I found a minimal blockage and cleared it with a screwdriver causing a rush of seawater from the manifold to flow out. Of note, I mentioned that I replaced the thermostat and raw water pump on the engine as I had no history from the previous owner. I did find that some pirate had used an automotive thermostat that was very deteriorated. Glad I checked.

:usa:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 1st, 2018, 6:13 pm

Good stuff....thanks for the update........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”