Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Suggested maintenance if previous records incomplete

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Suggested maintenance if previous records incomplete

Postby g36 » February 20th, 2017, 11:32 am

Yes my 1997 405 , 454 xli's tbi injection have them. No need to replace the screen unless damaged these are made to be cleaned and reused
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Postby dsolo » February 20th, 2017, 3:19 pm

I bought the boat in Traverse City, Mi. October 5th headed south to Onekema, Mi. About 95 miles. Not knowing how to read the gas gauge and position the gas valves I ended up running the starboard forward tank dry. Read everything wrong and was told by previous owner I had 300 gallons of gas. Not true! Made it about 30 miles and started loosing RPMs on starboard engine. Made a safe port and filled all tanks. 185 gallons. Boat seemed to start and run well. Started off south. Made about 20 miles and lost RPMs on starboard engine. Limped in to another port with winds and waves picking up. Port was shoal over, had about a couple feet play to get inside breakwall. Coast guard pulled lake Michigan buoys and stopped maintaining port entrance for season.

Port had no facilities for the 40' boat, only a small boat launch.
Weather forecast called for 45 mph winds and 8 to 10 foot wave.

Needless to say I spent the next day cleaning fuel filters. There was some degree of particles in the Recor, but the oberg had most of the blockage with black tar covering have the screen.

After 4 days of bad weather made it home. Engines performed well. Cruising at 3200 RPM, about 19 MPH.

I asked the marina to change fuel filters only to get the bill without the canister filter not being changed.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » February 20th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Yeah that's nice. My 405 and I travelled 490 miles to home when I bought her. No problem at all then I got home and next time I wanted to go out had issues with boat engines making no rpm pulled back into the slip and found oberg pretty bad . now I know to check them. I have this junk in my tanks I hope one day I will filter enough out that it wont keep getting clogged like it is now. I replaced all my fuel lines wondering if the black stuff was from deterioration but kind of up in the air about it. They needed to be brought up to today's standard anyway still not exactly sure what the black crap is
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » February 21st, 2017, 7:29 am

That black crap could very well be hose material. You have no way of knowing what type of fuel they used before you. If it had ethanol in it I'd bet a dollar to a dozen donuts it's hose material. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Midnight Sun
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Carver 41 CMY D6 370's

Postby Midnight Sun » February 21st, 2017, 8:14 am

My guess is fill hose material. I could not believe my eyes but my previous boat the gas filler hose from the inlet to the tank started leaking when filling up. It deteriorated from the inside so bad that the hose had perforated. Yes that huge very thick hose is the one I am talking about. Boat was a 1997

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”