Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Noisy Starboard transmission...rich engine

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
405driver
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405 gas

Re: Noisy Starboard transmission...rich engine

Postby 405driver » June 17th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I changed both port and starboard fuel filters today. I poured the contents from each filter into separate glass jars. The port appears to be clean gas, the starboard has no fuel/water demarcation line, but is definitely lighter in color. The fuel came from the same pump only minutes apart. I am including a picture for your opinions. Port is on the left, starboard (problem engine) is on the right.

All opinions welcome.If it's water, this may be the root of the problems with this engine.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

405driver
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 405driver » June 19th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Here's more.....Today I took the fuel samples to the offices of our local fuel distributor to get their opinion. After a through examination and a lot of discussion, it was determined that there is no water in the fuel. So, here we are again, what is going on with this engine?

Tomorrow we are again going to put a fuel pressure gauge on the engine while actually running the boat. Sounds like a fuel pump but earlier fuel pressure checks seemed to be normal.

Anybody have any experience with a failing fuel pump? Can it quit and then start again. Seems to me if it quit it would "stay quit" but at this point I'm not going to rule out anything.....

Thanks

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 19th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Is the fuel pump loud and have a wining sound? Any different sounding than the other engine?

Are we still talking about a noisy tranny and a rich running engine?

Has anybody put a vacuum gauge on this engine? Has a leak down test been performed yet?

405driver
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 405driver » June 20th, 2017, 9:21 am

Viper.....yes, same thread, same engine. No leak down test, but did do the compressions 165=170 each engine. There is no smoke coming from the exhaust but I agree, probably should do a leak down test. However, It doesn't seem to me that a cylinder problem would cause it to simply quit and not restart....then restart later. Vacuum is another issue and could cause that problem I suppose if it's giving the computer the wrong info.

Beats me.

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » June 27th, 2017, 7:45 pm

I've just read most of this thread. Found it quite interesting. It's been a week since your last post but if you haven't fixed it yet my advice would be to sink the boat :approve: but that's probably bad advice. Based on the history here, I think this is unrelated to previous problems you've had. I would think an immediate cut out and later restart is a high probability of ignition failure. It must be determined what system is failing, ignition or fuel, when the engine has shut off. This would be best done with 2 people, one to crank the engine and one to do some quick tests. With a screwdriver and access to one plug wire you could check for spark while someone cranks the engine. Insert the screwdriver in the end of the plug wire once it's removed from the plug and hold it close to the exhaust manifold. Watch for a spark to occur periodically while cranking the engine for about 30 seconds. If you get spark then fuel system checks are in order and engine management system is possibly contributing to the problem. If the problem is intermittent it can be difficult to get to the root of the problem. If it can be repeated consistently then the solution will be easier to find.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » June 27th, 2017, 7:58 pm

If rather see an inductive light used to check current in plug wires than use an open spark
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 27th, 2017, 9:12 pm

waybomb wrote:If rather see an inductive light used to check current in plug wires than use an open spark

+++1 :-O
or get a proper marine spark tester that takes this into consideration.

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » June 28th, 2017, 6:07 pm

waybomb wrote:
If rather see an inductive light used to check current in plug wires than use an open spark
+++1 :-O
or get a proper marine spark tester that takes this into consideration.

Yes you are both correct - safety first. It is a gas engine and it is a confined area so best not to have open spark occurring. Hopefully he'll find direction to the correction of the problem with this test.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”