Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hurth transmission issue

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Re: Hurth transmission issue

Postby Helmsman » May 12th, 2017, 11:42 am

I just checked. The drip is still there. Just a couple of drops from where we took it out. After we get the prop off and checked, I think I will pull the boat and get both dripless shaft seals re-done, whether the prop "fixes" it or not. It is a 27 mile trip south to the closest lift. They are always really busy so I may head north 67 miles to address it.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 12th, 2017, 7:40 pm

I'm a little puzzled about something; it sounds like you're still in the water, so how exactly did the shaft get dialed? Just the section between the log and the coupler? Did the rest of the shaft get dialed? You haven't removed the prop yet so how did the taper get dialed?

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » May 13th, 2017, 12:13 pm

g36 wrote:Source of the post
Nharrison5 wrote:Source of the post Viper, I live on Lake Chickamauga

sorry to hijack but i also am on lake chickamauga at pine harbor didnt realize i had any carver friends so close

Sent you a PM

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » May 13th, 2017, 12:15 pm

What is the best way to secure a sheared propellor in order to loosen the nut on it?

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » May 17th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Ok. So here is what we found. The prop is fine. It was actually the zf63a transmission filter. We cleaned it, drove the boat, and it was fine. I changed the transmission fluid today in the port engine, along with putting in a new filter, though cleaning the original worked. I will keep it as a spare.

Boat now travels fine. Though we still have the leak.

Next step is to do the same with the starboard.

My opinion is that we got tranny fluid on the seal in the Tidesmarine sure seal and caused that to start dripping. Will have it pulled after the Memorial Day rush to have fixed if moving it doesn't fix.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 17th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Nharrison5 wrote:Source of the post ....It was actually the zf63a transmission filter....

That's a new one for me. Never had a tranny filter that bad that it would cause the symptoms you described. Thanks for the followup.

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » May 24th, 2017, 8:16 am

Ok. We removed the prop. Nothing wrong there. The prop was in perfect shape. So, we decided to clean the filter for the transmission, took it out, and had no issue. We only drove it for 10 minutes. This weekend we will have it out more and see how we do.

To recap, there were three issues.

1) the water fuel separator had water in it. Changed that out and it stopped the rpm "dance".
2) the transmission fluid filter was replaced. Cleaned the old one to use as a spare.
3) the dripless shaft seal still leaks. I moved it around some and then tightened the 5 nuts around the seal. They were pretty loose. The water appears to be coming from the seal. When I take the boat out this weekend, I will see if that stopped the leak.

I will be pulling the boat for service as soon as the boat yards free up from their Memorial Day crush and will replace both drip seals then.

Any opinion from anyone on whether to stay with Tides Marine, go to the old style packing, or trying PSS?

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » May 24th, 2017, 8:23 am

OK, here is what we found.

1) pulled the prop in the water. Prop was ok. Cleaned the transmission filter. That resolved the problem. Easiest things first, huh? When I returned home, I put a new filter on, re-cleaned the old for spare use, and changed the transmission fluid. Have not taken it out since but plan to this weekend.

2)the shaft seal is still leaking. I moved it around and tightened all nuts around the seal. They were loose. I will see if that fixes it until the boat yards free up and I can get the seals replaced.

3) mentioned above (I think) but replaced the fuel water separator filter and that fixed the "dancing" rpm issue first described.

Added both to maintenance schedule for each spring.

Thanks for the assists!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 24th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Before you replace the dripless unit or the seal, check the condition of the shaft at the seal area. If it's worn or grooved, new seals won't do anything.

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » June 20th, 2017, 8:15 am

Ok. I took the boat in for a haulout and they are replacing the TidesMarine Shaft seal. The transmission problem was a maintenance issue. The transmission filter was blocked. So, I cleaned and kept the old one as a spare, replaced the fluid, and put a new filter in. No more transmission problems.

Maintenance is key, as they say....

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”