Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Walter V-drive Question

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Walter V-drive Question

Postby amanphoto » June 14th, 2017, 9:15 pm

I'm new to this and would like some clarification and info. I have a Walter direct mounted "V" drive. The oil has leaked out. My questions is where do I put more oil in? In the dipstick port? SAE-30 oil? Where should I look for a leak? Where are they prone to fail? Where do I change the oil out when it is time for maintenance?

Thanks for your help.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Walter V-drive Question

Postby bud37 » June 14th, 2017, 10:04 pm

If you could add some info to help, the year and engine combo......if it is like mine there was a factory fill oil a mobilfluid 424, then some had regular mercon trans fluid. Feel around the bottom of the case, look at the shaft seals and the trans cooler could be pumping it out with the engine waste water.You can pull fluid out the dipstick access and add thru there as well........dont mix fluids, find out what you have in there and stick to it...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » June 14th, 2017, 11:23 pm

I have a 98 Mariner. Not sure of the year you have but on mine, its top back center. Looks like a quarter size vent but takes a wrench to unscrew, then use a funnel. For mine, SEA 30.

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » June 14th, 2017, 11:24 pm

Crusader Engine Service Manual TECM 600...its a good read.
Check the model number and look up the service manual for the drives too...

amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate

Postby amanphoto » June 15th, 2017, 6:57 am

There is a tag on the V-drive. It says model RV-10 - RV-50 use SAE30 or EP-66 Gear Oil. Models RV-61 - RV-91 use APG80. It recommends some other oils but its hard to read. It is on a 1998 Carver Mariner 350 with 454 engine.

amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate

Postby amanphoto » June 15th, 2017, 7:46 am

According to the Walter V-drive manual. Remove the dipstick and breather vent. Pour oil into the breather vent. Oil leak could be caused by misaligned engine causing oil to leak of gear shaft oil seal.

Recommended oil: SAE30 Heavy Duty Motor oil, Exxon Spartan EP-68 Gear oil or APG-80 Gear oil. Don't use multi grade motor oils.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 15th, 2017, 8:32 am

amanphoto wrote:Source of the post There is a tag on the V-drive. It says model RV-10 - RV-50 use SAE30 or EP-66 Gear Oil. Models RV-61 - RV-91 use APG80. It recommends some other oils but its hard to read. It is on a 1998 Carver Mariner 350 with 454 engine.

Yep, totally different setup than mine , I have small block mercs.......by the looks of it you have it covered....I would hazard a guess here and say that if you do not see oil in the bilge then the cooler ,if you have one, would be the place to start....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 15th, 2017, 10:04 pm

if the oil that "leaked out" is not in the bilge, better check your oil cooler. You will to find and repair the lead before you need a rebuild.

amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate

Postby amanphoto » June 17th, 2017, 9:12 am

The oil is in the bilge.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 17th, 2017, 10:05 am

Just to clarify something; is the v-drive attached to the engine or is it separate from the engine attached by a shaft and u-joints? It's an older setup but curious to know how yours is configured.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”