Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Velvet Drive Model 20-01-006

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Dewmyster
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 370 Voyager

Velvet Drive Model 20-01-006

Postby Dewmyster » June 19th, 2017, 11:26 am

These are in my 1998 370 Voyager hooked up to 7.4 Mercrusiers. Coming back from the Tall Ship event in Boston this past weekend I had an alarm sound in the middle of Buzzards Bay in pea soup fog. Lifted the hatch could smell something was wrong and shut my port engine down. Thought I had blown a coolant line. We motored home to Westport, MA on one engine doing 8.5Kts and the trip took an extra 2 hours. When I started the engine to assist me into my slip I couldn't shift into forward or reverse. Current and wind were favorable and stuck the landing on the first try on one engine.

Took the time to straighten the boat up, have lunch and a beer before I looked further. Once my wife had left I started cleaning up the mess. Tranny fluid has sprayed onto the engine causing the alarm. Not sure where it was coming from but cleaned up the mess and thru extra pads in the bilge. Looks like it may have leaked out of the cooler or one of the hoses. I will attack it this weekend, only hope I didn't fry the tranny. Any suggestions or comments will be readily accepted. Summer is too short to be down long.
:usa:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Velvet Drive Model 20-01-006

Postby Viper » June 19th, 2017, 9:54 pm

Oh Oh. Is there any oil in the tranny? Try to pump some out and see if it's still pink. Take a sniff in the dipstick port to check if it smells burnt. If it doesn't, you may be lucky. At this point, once you find the leak, about the only thing you can do is refill the unit and test. If it smells burnt, you're looking at a rebuild.

What rpm were you at when you realized something was wrong?

Dewmyster
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Dewmyster » June 23rd, 2017, 5:11 pm

Hello Viper, Doing about 3K rpms. Did not smell burnt. I added 1 quart of transmission fluid today and it is full. Disconnected the shift linkage and could not move the lever. Took a 2x4 and tapped it with a hammer and it moved. Reached down and could move it with my hand so connected the linkage and went to the bridge. Started the engine, shift forward....nothing. Shifted to reverse.....nothing. Looks impossible to remove, given the limited space. Any other suggestions? Looks like the 4th is a work holiday. :censored:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 23rd, 2017, 6:50 pm

I would give Borg warner a call with your trans number to see if a pump failure would exhibit what you have , there is also some valving....is the trans fluid still clean ??.......try to find a tranny guy to come to check pressures if possible.....maybe first on the list before removal.It may be that there are no repairs without it being on the bench, think I might find out though.....good luck man...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 23rd, 2017, 9:08 pm

I agree, contact BW. It doesn't sound good though and to try to put it back into service without dismantling and assessing what's going on internally may cause further damage ($$$).

Dewmyster
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Dewmyster » June 24th, 2017, 12:00 pm

All great suggestions, thank you. On another note when the shift lever is moved into F or R the engine will start, leading me to believe that some how the neutral safety switch is still getting the signal for N. Perhaps I will catch a break and it is the control valve? Won't know until next week. :banghead:

Dewmyster
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Dewmyster » July 18th, 2017, 8:14 pm

She was towed to New Bedford, MA today for a rebuild. Need to have my boat back in the water and functional by July 29th. Wish me luck. Thank goodness for Gold Unlimited Towing. :captain:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 18th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Did they need to haul it out to remove the tranny?

Dewmyster
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Dewmyster » July 18th, 2017, 8:35 pm

My marina wasn't capable of completing the job timely. No room in the engine compartment. Needs to come forward 12" , not out.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 18th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Dewmyster wrote:Source of the post .....Need to have my boat back in the water and functional by July 29th.....

They had to haul the boat out?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”