Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Starter Solenoid

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
abcoker
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 350 Aft Cabin
454 Crusaders

Starter Solenoid

Postby abcoker » June 23rd, 2017, 2:36 pm

Howdy!
I'm having a strange problem with my port engine that I'm hoping I can get some help with. When I turn the key to the "run" position, the starter runs and the engine will start without ever turning the key to the "start" position. I can't really tell if the starter stays engaged once the engine starts, but I think that it disengages.
Does this sound like the starter solenoid is stuck in the "on" position? Why doesn't the starter run even with the key in the "off" position like it would in a car? is there something else that cuts the power to the starter when the key is "off"?

Any help with this will be very much appreciated.
1993 Carver 350 Aft Cabin
454 Crusader XL

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Starter Solenoid

Postby waybomb » June 23rd, 2017, 3:11 pm

I'd be checking the ignition switch first. Turn the battery of and with your vom on ohms, see which circuits are completed on the back of the switch as you turn the key.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author United States of America
abcoker
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 350 Aft Cabin
454 Crusaders

Postby abcoker » June 23rd, 2017, 3:18 pm

Ignition switches seem ok. I get the same result using the inside or fly-bridge helm. I unhooked the wires from the fly-bridge ignition switch and got the same result from the inside ignition switch. I have not tried the converse.
1993 Carver 350 Aft Cabin
454 Crusader XL

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 23rd, 2017, 9:18 pm

The two circuits (start/run) should be isolated. The starter only engages when the start circuit is activated which is only one side of the ignition switch. The common piece of hardware where the start and run circuits are controlled is the ignition switch. If the starter remains engaged in the run position, either the run and start side of the switch is shorted, or you have a mechanical issue with the starter. If there's a short, you'll burn out your starter in short order (common problem). Like Fred said, I'd take a closer look at the ignition switches. "....seem ok" doesn't rule anything out. You need to get a meter on them. Other than that, it's possible for the two circuits to be shorted somewhere in the harness, again, a meter is your best friend here and eliminates the guessing.

Does the engine shut off okay?

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 24th, 2017, 1:53 pm

When the key is in the run position, the only thing that should be hot is the power to the coil and the distributor as far as engine starting goes. Have you have 12 volt electrical work done lately? Since you have dual helms, and u state it does the same thing at either helm, your issue is somewhere down the line.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » June 27th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Does this system use 2 solenoids? One remote and the other part of the starter. If so, has someone installed a new remote solenoid and possibly wired it incorrectly?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 27th, 2017, 9:16 pm

You probably have a slave solenoid on the engine too but would have to confirm for your model. It would only get activated in the "start" position. The start circuit wiring should be the only control wires going to that location.

Cessnatech
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Cessnatech » August 14th, 2017, 8:52 pm

abcoker, Have you found the the problem to this starting issue? I am having the exact same issue with my 390CPMY. I work on electronics but this is stumping me. My starboard engine starts when I turn either station ignition switch to "Run". I confirmed that the slave solenoid is getting 10 volts to the control side of the relay even with the start wires disconnected at both switches. This is telling me something is shorting from the "run" hot side to the "start" hot to the solenoid. with both switches "start" hot disconnected. Neither "start" side hot wire rings (continuity) to the solenoid wire.. telling me there must be another control relay perhaps? I found a wiring schematic in the 454 manuals that show how the engines are wired but they don't take the dual station into consideration. There has been no new wiring recently. I have the 390 CPMY manual but I can not find a engine starting diagram. If I had all of the wiring diagrams I know I could figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 8th, 2017, 8:13 am

Bump

Did you solve the problem?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”