Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 356 RPM issues

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 400

Re: Carver 356 RPM issues

Postby hausherrs » October 31st, 2017, 9:24 am

How many hours did it take to collect that much stuff in the picture? Thats nothing, to be honest. I mean its something but... You should see mine. This is a picture of my filter on the "Bad" engine / tank. If you look at the gauge its in the yellow and you can see the black junk on the cone. This is after 2 HOURS. Ive since replaced the filter cartridge and it was BLACK. But since I have replaced the oberg with this racor I have had ZERO issues. A smart guy down the pier from me told me to install those filters. And I was like "Yeah yeah"... I didnt and I replaced sensors, wires, plug wires, ignitor, cap/rotor, plugs, all fuel filters, etc... I went out for a run one day and the engine would not stay running at all. It would not even idle. I parked it and installed the filter. Problem solved. It was like the flip of a switch.

The factory filters are weak. I would still do the racor 500 install if for no other reason just to have piece of mind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » October 31st, 2017, 9:57 am

This is after 2-4 hours what comes out of my filter. I know it does not look bad, but it seems to effect the engine. I'll look into racor. I assume there is gas version, your pic is diesel. What did you mean by "replaced the oberg with this racor"? are you using racor? what is oberg?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 31st, 2017, 8:06 pm

hausherrs wrote:Source of the post How many hours did it take to collect that much stuff in the picture? Thats nothing, to be honest. I mean its something but... You should see mine. This is a picture of my filter on the "Bad" engine / tank. If you look at the gauge its in the yellow and you can see the black junk on the cone. This is after 2 HOURS. Ive since replaced the filter cartridge and it was BLACK. But since I have replaced the oberg with this racor I have had ZERO issues. A smart guy down the pier from me told me to install those filters. And I was like "Yeah yeah"... I didnt and I replaced sensors, wires, plug wires, ignitor, cap/rotor, plugs, all fuel filters, etc... I went out for a run one day and the engine would not stay running at all. It would not even idle. I parked it and installed the filter. Problem solved. It was like the flip of a switch.

The factory filters are weak. I would still do the racor 500 install if for no other reason just to have piece of mind.

That looks like a diesel fuel filter but the engine looks like a gasoline Crusader. What are you running in there?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 31st, 2017, 8:08 pm

cpoint wrote:Source of the post
what is oberg?

The Oberg is a screen-type filter. Some versions are called "UFO" filters because they are a big pancake style filter. They are really just to stop the debris that might damage a low pressure fuel pump. They are also (usually) very easy to open up and swap the screen if it gets plugged up.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 1st, 2017, 7:18 am

Looks like a gasoline application to me too so I'll just put this out there; those units are designed for diesel fuel only and as such, one has to wonder what the ethanol in gasoline will do to the seals, o-rings, etc. if they are not rated for E10/15. More importantly, a see through fuel filter assembly is not allowed in a gasoline engine compartment for safety reasons and it's likely to show up as a red flag the next time you need to get a survey. They are great units though. Racor does have good gasoline fuel filters assemblies available.

United States of America
hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate

Postby hausherrs » November 1st, 2017, 10:43 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post That looks like a diesel fuel filter but the engine looks like a gasoline Crusader. What are you running in there?

I installed the diesel version so I can see whats flowing. However I have since purchased and installed the metal bowl conversion. The clear bowls are not approved for gasoline and by USCG.

Bowl kit:
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/racor-m ... k-11734-03

If you want to get the "GAS" version and not spend an extra $70 per filter like I did then just get the 500MAM.
RAC-500MAM30 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate

Postby hausherrs » November 1st, 2017, 10:56 am

cpoint wrote:Source of the post This is after 2-4 hours what comes out of my filter. I know it does not look bad, but it seems to effect the engine. I'll look into racor. I assume there is gas version, your pic is diesel. What did you mean by "replaced the oberg with this racor"? are you using racor? what is oberg?

According to Racor the 500MAM is the gas application. It comes with the metal bowl and metal fittings. You dont have an Oberg, they didnt come on Mercrusers. But I would replace the spin on you posted a picture of.

But this picture I posted was me installing a temp filter to see if it fixed my problem. It did so I then ordered the metal bowls and the MAM version. The board is not painted and isnt the correct thickness. I need to get a piece of painted 3/4 and hang it correctly.

I called Racor and asked them about Gas / Diesel etc and they stated the MAM is for gas or diesel. So I ordered a one. But the dang sticker still says "Diesel" on it. So I need to figure that out because even if its 'ok' its still annoying.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » November 2nd, 2017, 6:47 pm

Made a bracket and installed these Racors on our 3697.

Racor (Large).jpg
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 2nd, 2017, 8:55 pm

NICE :down:

Topic author United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » June 27th, 2018, 11:12 am

Update on this, while my starboard side was being checked out by mechanic, he looked at this long going RPM issue of mine, and said everything looked OK, but noticed the rotor cap was not very clean (see picture), replaced it. He though it should resolve RPM/engine issue over 2000 rpm. I will test this weened and update, hopefully will close this issue once in for all :-D Some one suggested spraying outside with CRC Wire Dryer Electrical Connection Waterproofer/Protector. Does anyone have any comments on this, is it safe to spray on outside of rotor cap, cables, etc?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”