Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2003 360SS Repower

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
taddly
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 360 Sport Sedan

2003 360SS Repower

Postby taddly » July 9th, 2017, 8:54 am

Just got the Wild Herron back from a re-power job. Replaced the troublesome Volvo Penta 5.7GXil-C engines with MerCruiser 383 MAG Strokers. Breaking them in today.

Been told that it is illegal to reset the Hobbs meters even though the engines have zero time (other than testing at MerCruiser, during the installation, and the short cruise from installation location to my slip (thinking we are at 2 hours or less). Is this true? Certainly showing the hours against the removed engines is more misleading than zeroing them out.

I suppose the only issue may be if I resell but the potential buyer would get the actual hours from the Merc ECMs. So, no real problems that I can see.
T & K Herron
2003 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
2017 MerCruiser 383 MAG Strokers
Name: Wild Herron

United States of America
rcoff512
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver Voyager 450
Home Port, Long Island NY USA

Re: 2003 360SS Repower

Postby rcoff512 » July 9th, 2017, 9:23 am

Those are called "engine hour meters" they should go with the engines. New engines, new "0" meters. Just my 2c.
I have not heard of a law regarding the installing new meters with new engines.

Rich

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 9th, 2017, 9:41 am

Good luck with your new engines, you could always put new meters, then keep old ones with the docs, unless there is some rules against it ......as you say the new ecm's will have all the hours and data anyway....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

taddly
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby taddly » July 9th, 2017, 8:29 pm

rcoff512 wrote:Source of the post Those are called "engine hour meters" they should go with the engines. New engines, new "0" meters. Just my 2c....
Rich

Right, but they are built into the tach on the gauges that originally came with the 360SS. I decided to keep the old gauges to lower the near term costs.

I did however spring for a Mercury VesselView Mobile module. It will display the engine hours (as well as many many other engine parameters) directly from the ECMs to my tablet/smartphone. Since I don't have a SmartCraft CAN bus & gauge system, I have to first install at least some portion of that before I can get VesselView to display the data from both engines. Unfortunately the CAN termination resistor module was not installed on the engine bus, so I must wait another week for one to be shipped. I'll move this discussion to the electronics forum once I have the VesselView Mobile installed next weekend.
T & K Herron

United States of America
CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Shopping....

Postby CaptBob » July 10th, 2017, 2:59 pm

I'm very interested in seeing your project of adding VesselView. I've wanted to add the SmartCraft and such, (well.... I've wanted to, but haven't done much research) but have not entered that rabbit hole yet. On my previous boat I added flow meters and a nema2000 backbone that was easy to add sensors (too easy.... some things do not really need to be monitored.. :banghead: . ) and monitors too. looking forward to your report.
Capt Bob!
More Nautiville 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Nautiville 2005 Cruisers 280 CXi *Sold*
Nautitown 2012 SeaDoo 180 SP *Sold*

taddly
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby taddly » July 10th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Capt Bob,
I moved the VesselView discussion to the Electronics forum. Nothing to report yet as the CAN termination resistor was not on the new engine's wire harness.
T & K Herron

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”