Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hit a rock today..........................

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Hit a rock today..........................

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 23rd, 2017, 6:36 pm

While cruising out of the channel, we were scoping out how the Coast Guard removed a green can, that was the only marking of the entrance to the channel. Looking about and then BAM! Very loud noise. I knew we hit something, but what and how bad. I motored away with no vibration, so I took the throttle up to cruising speed and again, all seemed fine. We continued on our way, had a super day and got back to the marina. After we docked, I donned the mask and fins and got a bit sick over the port prop. Pretty mangled up. So, we emptied the refrigerator, called the marina for a haul tomorrow and need to send the prop out. I wished I had a spare but don't even know what I have. My Carver book just says 22 x 22. So I guess once we get it out on the hard more information will be uncovered.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Hit a rock today..........................

Postby mjk1040 » July 23rd, 2017, 7:44 pm

Damn hate it when I do that. Hope nothing else got effected. Say all should be very careful diving in a marina. A lot of electricity abound and you never know, someone may not be grounded!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 23rd, 2017, 8:03 pm

Sorry to hear that!! I'm surprised you didn't get any vibration! Did you notice lack of thrust??

I damaged the tips on the same prop twice in two different successive years. The first time bit into a bit of clay. Could not motor much above no-wake and pivoting the boat was horrible, as the stbd prop would not make much thrust at all. The following year just pinged rock while turning around to anchor and it was almost as bad. I had a spare set of props so I could haul the boat and put it back in same day.

Find out what size you have a keep an eye out on CL and other sites. For a few hundred bucks you can have a garage ornament that you may never need... but if you do they'll come in handy!!

United States of America
John Easley
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Sold a 1986 42' Chris Craft Catalina. Looking for a 1999-2006 530 Voyager Pilothouse.

Postby John Easley » July 24th, 2017, 10:33 am

That sucks but at least you made it home safely. Props can be fixed. Surprised you have to have it hauled out for a prop repair. Our diver service that keeps the hull cleaned has pulled and reinstalled our props for us at a much more reasonable price.

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » July 24th, 2017, 10:42 am

I curled the tips of my port prop a few years ago. Had a diver pull it while in my slip as there aren't any haul outs near by. My props are 20 x 20, surprised yours are 22 x 22. What engines do you have?
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 25th, 2017, 5:03 am

I have 7.4 Mercruisers, carbed. I am going by what my Carver book says I have. I will find out soon enough for sure.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”