Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Port engine problems

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Port engine problems

Postby mjk1040 » July 27th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Would help to know which engines we are dealing with here. 1998's should be throttle bodied and not carbed. If ethanol gas was used anytime before u acquired her, problems could be abound with the fuel system. But then again electronic issues could be the cause.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
John Easley
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Sold a 1986 42' Chris Craft Catalina. Looking for a 1999-2006 530 Voyager Pilothouse.

Postby John Easley » July 28th, 2017, 9:21 am

Another vote for it being fuel or spark related. If they are separate fuel tanks, it's a good idea about disconnecting the fuel line and sticking it in a five gallon gas can. That would eliminate the issue of a plugged vent. Also a good idea about checking for spark after the problem starts. Still, I'm betting it's fuel-related.

Topic author United States of America
Jack Kolberg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 380 Santego

Postby Jack Kolberg » August 7th, 2017, 9:54 am

Thanks for the reply's folks. My mechanic finally talked to Crusader and it sounds like it is an oil sending switch that has a habit of shorting out when under load and shuts down the engine. We replaced it last week and the engine runs strong but a lot of rain kept us from testing it on the lake. The dealer we were talking to said he keeps a bunch of these switches on hand as it seems to be a common problem. I am not a mechanic so can't really speak to this, but sounds like a pretty simple fix. we'll see.

Thanks for the input. I will keep you posted.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”