Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Exhaust risers

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Exhaust risers

Postby jcoll » October 13th, 2017, 1:16 pm

One of the off season projects this year is exhaust risers. I'm replacing them on my 1998 Crusader 454 XLi engines based on age. I did have the starboard risers off when I purchased the boat and they were in serviceable condition at the time but, I'll feel better knowing they're new next season. In the past on different boats I've used both OEM and aftermarket parts. I tend to want to spend the extra for OEM for a lot of different reasons but my experience with aftermarket has always been positive. For those who have done the job, I'm interested in where you purchased parts and was the quality good if you used aftermarket?

United States of America
hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 400

Re: Exhaust risers

Postby hausherrs » October 16th, 2017, 12:56 pm

I would recommend Crusader. They are a bit more $$. Ive heard that the aftermarket work fine but they are thinner which of course means they will not last as long. I have a new set of manifolds and risers in my garage. I want to say I paid $550 (Risers) for one engine and that does not include any gaskets, bolts, or fittings. Im putting them on this winter. My current mani-riser setup is at least 7 years old. Its probably older because they are the same ones in the picture from the 2010 survey the previous owner did. Ive had the boat a little over a year.

I was asking the same question when I decided on OEM. You cant go wrong. Spend a little more and get the good stuff.

Risers:
https://www.marinepartssource.com/newde ... no=R029015

Manifolds:
https://www.marinepartssource.com/newde ... o=R028021A

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » October 16th, 2017, 7:55 pm

I replaced manifolds, risers, and elbows on my 454 crusaders for around $2500 (both engines). I went with Barr and couldn’t be more pleased. I feel they are very high quality with a good coating and fitment was perfect. I bought mine from Marine engine parts MEP, they sold complete kits with gaskets new bolts and studs. Found this to be less expensive then buying all the hardware and such separately at Marine parts source.

jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby jcoll » October 16th, 2017, 8:47 pm

I appreciate the input guys. I guess this discussion is a lot like "what's the best oil" :-D Both sides of it have valid points. Personal preference is the deciding factor. It does look like Marine Parts Source has the best pricing currently for OEM.

Since my engines are fresh water cooled I was not intending on replacing the manifolds, just the risers (elbows). I don't see a benefit in replacing the manifolds. My initial inspection 4 years ago showed no serious sign of deterioration. My previous boats were all raw water cooled and they got manifolds without question. Are your system fresh or raw water systems and if fresh, what would the reasoning be to replace the manifolds?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 16th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Are you running in fresh water or salt water? Are your manifolds fresh (coolant) or raw water cooled? If you run in fresh water or your manifolds are fresh water cooled (coolant), then you can opt for a less expensive option. I've only ever had an issue with one aftermarket unit. If you run in salt water and the manifolds are raw water cooled, then consider that whether you go OEM or not, you should think about replacing them every 5 years or so. After that you're it's a crap shoot and you're running on borrowed time OEM or not so again the less expensive route is an attractive option since either way they should be replaced after 5 years. Really comes down to personal preference, your comfort level, and your wallet.

jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby jcoll » October 17th, 2017, 8:25 am

Viper, I agree with your assessment 100%. I run this boat in the upper Chesapeake Bay which I'll call brackish water. The manifolds are fresh water completely which are separated from the risers by the gaskets and a blocking plate so no brackish water touches them as I'm sure you know. Cost is always a consideration but quality and longevity are important factors as well. The 5 year replacement plan is why I originally removed the starboard risers for inspection. Since I'm approaching that mark now I have this job on my to-do list. I'm going to opt out of manifolds on this engine configuration. I believe it would be a bit overkill. I'll know for sure when I have it apart again but I don't expect much change if any from my 1st inspection.

What was the issue you had with the one aftermarket manifold?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 17th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Internal leak from cooling side to one of the exhaust chambers. It was so long ago and many manifolds later that I can't even remember which brand it was but haven't had any issues with aftermarket since. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with OEM, I use them too but I put all the options out there, then it's the buyer's wallet that dictates.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » October 19th, 2017, 6:16 pm

I just priced risers for my 6.0 Captains Choice (2005 vintage).
The risers are $158.00 per each and the metal gasket is about $55.00 each. These are Crusader OEM.
Lots of luck.

jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby jcoll » February 11th, 2018, 1:32 pm

I'm reviving this post to ask more questions I hope someone has the answers for. I want to go with OEM on this project. While in the process of placing the order I read the R029015 riser is 1-1/2' taller than the 98126. The risers I removed are 98126 (old style). I didn't take any measurements while everything was assembled so I don't know if there is a clearance issue with my application but I think it's pretty close. Does anyone know for sure if the R029015 riser (new style) will fit my 1998 355? I have the old risers here at home and the boat is an hour away. If I have to, I'll go back down and make the measurements. If the new style doesn't fit it looks like I'm going to have to go with aftermarket. I can't find OEM 98126 risers. If someone knows where I can get OEM 98126 risers that would be appreciated.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » February 11th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Just googled "OEM 98126 risers", a couple options came up. ebay had them. Looks like the OEM 98126 risers are low profile!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”