Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Please clarify Mercruiser 454 open system thermostat operation

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Please clarify Mercruiser 454 open system thermostat operation

Postby bud37 » November 13th, 2017, 4:42 pm

Looks like you did a nice job to me.....nice touch loosening the belts and replacing o rings.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 13th, 2017, 4:49 pm

amanphoto wrote:Source of the post Next year...

I drain all the water our of the engine and v drive through the water drain holes and don't remove any of the hoses. Run the engine and suck antifreeze through the sea strainer....

Question is - Will it enter the block or be pumped overboard because the thermostat is closed?

That's why you remove the T-stat first as you never know when it is opened or closed. Only takes a few minutes and with it gone, all doubt is removed.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 13th, 2017, 6:15 pm

amanphoto wrote:Source of the post Next year...

I drain all the water our of the engine and v drive through the water drain holes and don't remove any of the hoses. Run the engine and suck antifreeze through the sea strainer....

you don't need to treat the hot water heater with antifreeze separately. With the block plugs still out, pull one of the hot water heater hoses off the engine, which ever is easiest, blow through the hose (I just use my mouth) and eventually it will drain out of your block. When it finishes draining, hook up the hose to the engine again, reinstall your plugs and proceed with running the engine to draw antifreeze from the strainer. Your water heater exchanger will get antifreeze.

Before you reinstall block plugs, start the engine then shut it off right away, you'll notice more water coming out of the block which was still in the raw water pump and lines.

amanphoto wrote:Source of the post.....Will it enter the block or be pumped overboard because the thermostat is closed?

Again, it WILL enter the block. I've winterized thousands. You don't have to remove the t-stat or warm it up first. Pull a block plug after if you want to confirm.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 14th, 2017, 12:14 pm

It might interest you to know that I've been involved with assessing several heat exchanger (closed cooling) failures and in every case except for those that failed due to corrosion, once opened up and the right questions are asked, one finds that the failures are due to not draining the exchanger properly first. For those that are applicable, you are supposed to remove the end caps per the manufacturer's recommendations to ensure ALL the water is drained out of the tubes. Simply running antifreeze through the exchanger without draining any water exacerbates the potential of failure as there is no guaranty that you'll displace all the water in every internal exchanger tube. All it takes up here is a little water left in one tube and the exchanger is garbage. At $2K, it's not worth the risk of taking a shortcut.

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » November 29th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post It might interest you to know that I've been involved with assessing several heat exchanger (closed cooling) failures and in every case except for those that failed due to corrosion, once opened up and the right questions are asked, one finds that the failures are due to not draining the exchanger properly first. For those that are applicable, you are supposed to remove the end caps per the manufacturer's recommendations to ensure ALL the water is drained out of the tubes. Simply running antifreeze through the exchanger without draining any water exacerbates the potential of failure as there is no guaranty that you'll displace all the water in every internal exchanger tube. All it takes up here is a little water left in one tube and the exchanger is garbage. At $2K, it's not worth the risk of taking a shortcut.

I know this post is a bit old but I just read it tonight. Never really gave a thought about draining the exchanger 1st. So far I've had no problems but, now I know better. Would it be sufficient to just remove the raw water drain plug, if the exchanger has one, rather than the end caps to clear it of water?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 30th, 2017, 7:27 am

You're supposed to remove the end caps also if applicable. This allows you to accomplish two things; use compressed air to ensure all the tubes are clear of water and inspect for blockage from marine growth. If a tube is blocked, it won't drain properly and the blockage won't allow antifreeze to displace the water that's trapped there. In truth though, I doubt that most techs practice this and simply empty them through the drain. If they're comfortable doing it that way because they've "never had a problem before" then so be it, what ever floats your boat. You can do hundreds of them successfully that way until the one where the right conditions are perfect to set you up for a failure, so I'll continue to play it safe, retain customers' confidence in my abilities, and keep my perfect record. I don't just do mine, I do many so if just mine failed no big deal, but if someone else's failed or a small percentage of them due to shortcuts, I'd be in trouble in more ways than one, I stand to lose too much. Perhaps the biggest motivator is that I never have to go through the winter wondering if a shortcut will come back to haunt me in the Spring.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”