Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine trouble on a 330 Mariner

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
mwest74
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 330 mariner w crusader 350xl's

Engine trouble on a 330 Mariner

Postby mwest74 » November 25th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Hello all,

I'm a recently new owner of a 95 330 Mariner. Let me apologize in advance for the long post, I have a lot of info I need to put out there.
My story begins like this: Purchased said boat in Tom's River New Jersey from a small dealer/broker. I think it was in his marina for about 2 years. We went up looked at the boat, had it surveyed and hauled, and decided it was a "good risk" and purchased it. It is our third boat.
After some work we(my wife and I) decided we needed to get her out of her current situation at the marina in New Jersey and move her to our home marina in Chesapeake City, MD about a 10 to 12 hour run. Our journey began a couple of few weeks ago. The boat which we named Off$hore Investment was running great, aside from a nuisance low oil pressure alarm on the port engine which the surveyor deemed to be unreliable/intermittent, and I subsequently disconnected while underway. We(me and two friends from work, who are all licensed A&P helicopter mechanics) made it all the way to Long Beach Island/ Beach Haven, NJ when we noticed fluctuating RPM's on the port engine. We noticed a water leak from the exhaust on the port engine. It was spraying all over the engine compartment. I shut the port engine down, wrapped it with some Flex-tape(its amazing stuff, you should carry a roll for emergency repairs). When I attempted to restart the port engine, it would crank twice, and then click, click, click... At that point we got a little closer to the shore than I wanted and subsequently ran aground, stalling the starboard engine.
After some four letter words, we attempted to restart the starboard engine and discovered that all 12 VDC power on board was dead. I was able to get the genny started and after grounding on two more sandbars were towed into Beach Haven. After we tied up and connected shore power for about 5 minutes the starboard engine fired up no problem. The port engine never did start again, exhibiting the same symptoms dockside as it did underway.
I have my theories as to what happened(bad alternator on stbd. engine, bad connection on the pos. battery cable on #2 battery). The mechanic at the yard keeps telling me he needs a little more time " to work things out" on the port engine. I'm just afraid the port engine ingested water from the leaking exhaust and washed out the cylinder(s). I'm willing to take all suggestions as long as they're free.
Engines are 350 Crusaders with around 300 +- 20 hours

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Engine trouble on a 330 Mariner

Postby tomschauer » November 26th, 2017, 1:27 am

Welcome to the forum.
The port engine issue does not sound good. I hope the surveyor was not on the payroll of the broker dismissing a low oil pressure alarm as a nuisance. That should have been a big red flag.
If these are raw water cooled engines that spent their life in salt water, yes you may have ingested water. If so, the starboard won't be far behind. Replace the manifolds asap.

Best wishes!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 26th, 2017, 9:39 am

I agree with Tom. You simply can't dismiss an alarm without doing some diagnosis first. There are a lot of possible failures here but water ingestion from bad manifolds is pretty typical in salt water applications after 5 years. Hope that is the failure and not something related to oil pressure.

I wouldn't allow them too much time "to work things out." If she ingested salt water, you want that out of your engine ASAP.

Keep us posted.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 26th, 2017, 9:55 am

When the surveyor deemed the oil pressure alarm " unreliable/intermittent", was that based on an opinion or had they had a mechanical gage on there?.I think if you lost the engine based on the oil pressure there would or should have been quite some noise involved to say the least.If you do get it running again then that mechanical gage to check/verify would be the first thing to do IMO along with the proper checks for water intrusion. Good luck going forward.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

mwest74
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby mwest74 » November 26th, 2017, 11:11 am

So, let me clarify, The engines are FWC Crusader 350's. The alarm on the engine wasn't working during the survey or sea trial. Oil pressure never fluctuated on the gauge and the temperature never went up( checked with an infrared thermometer and the gauge). It remained at normal operating temperature the entire time and continued to run fine for another 3 hours and was idling fine before shut down. The alarm came on about 2 hours into the journey after going through Barnegat inlet. There were no other signs of anything peculiar or strange noises just the fluctuating RPM's. Like I mentioned there were three experienced mechanics on board, one being a licensed Captain. So the alarm wasn't dismissed haphazhardly. A satisfactory compression check was done was done on both engines.
I've emailed the marina back this morning asking for an update on the winterization status as well as where they are on the port engine. I have also began thinking a rebuild or replacement on the port engine.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 26th, 2017, 11:32 am

Good stuff,yup you had enough experience there to id a catastrophic failure......... quite honestly after reading your update there, you may just have stirred up crap in the fuel tank and all you have hopefully is a clogged anti-syphon valve .
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 26th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Ya could be anything, more diagnosis required.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 6th, 2017, 7:05 am

Any update on the port engine?

mwest74
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby mwest74 » December 11th, 2017, 8:08 pm

So, as it turns out, it wasn't the engine at all. The transmission apparently developed a leak. All the fluid drained out the raw water side of the oil cooler. :censored: The fluctuating RPM's were caused by the transmission about to seize up. To top it off, I think the alternator gave up the ghost at some point during the "voyage". That's why I wasn't able to get the stbd. engine restarted until after the generator was running for a while. Anyway, worst case scenario, I'm looking at $10-12k for a new transmission and oil cooler.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 11th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Quite the story and turn of events, that is some bad luck right there.....good luck to you going forward.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”