Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Aftermarket EFI

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Aftermarket EFI

Postby Viper » November 29th, 2017, 12:18 pm

For the benefit of others that have reached the same conclusions as yourself, document the conversion on a new thread with pictures. It'll be a good place for folks to see what's involved. They'll appreciate hardware sources, costs, test results, etc. Should be a fun project. Keep us posted.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » December 2nd, 2017, 10:04 am

I have never tried it, but I would think a 1980's gm TBI set up could be easily adapted to use on the 350 motors. very simple computer and I think only two sensors. Should be super cheap at a local salvage yard.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 2nd, 2017, 10:21 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I have never tried it, but I would think a 1980's gm TBI set up could be easily adapted to use on the 350 motors. very simple computer and I think only two sensors. Should be super cheap at a local salvage yard.

Interesting, but for me the same question, what do you do with the o2 sensor? Have an idea that maybe that was the problem to overcome for them in the first place..
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 2nd, 2017, 10:51 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I have never tried it, but I would think a 1980's gm TBI set up could be easily adapted to use on the 350 motors. very simple computer and I think only two sensors. Should be super cheap at a local salvage yard.

I trust you mean marine salvage yard otherwise the reference data/table will not suite a marine application.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 2nd, 2017, 10:56 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post

Interesting, but for me the same question, what do you do with the o2 sensor? Have an idea that maybe that was the problem to overcome for them in the first place..

If it were off a marine application you wouldn't have to worry about O2 sensors until a much more recent vintage as they didn't get incorporated into marine use until recently with the introduction of catalyst engines. If you go with a new EFI retrofit that incorporates O2 sensors on a non catalyst engine, you'd have to turn the O2 input/option off or the engine will run in with default parameters.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 2nd, 2017, 12:47 pm

Exactly.....the problem as I see it ,is when trying to convert auto to marine...you gotta have some way to trim the mixture other than mapping.....it seems it has taken quite some time for the marine sector to come up with a cost effective dry O2 sensor installation on a wet exhaust.....next question would be , when a boat is now refitted( up-dated ), do you have to comply with the new regs as far as pollution control goes like the hot rod side in some areas????...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 2nd, 2017, 8:34 pm

It's not that the marine sector couldn't come up with a way, they simply weren't required to until recently but that's not yet the case in our neck of the woods. The exhaust doesn't get wet until the elbow so plenty of room to install O2 sensors in dry sections of the exhaust. The catalyst manifolds are designed differently but basically the same principle applies.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 2nd, 2017, 9:54 pm

I wonder if the sensor would be far enough away from the wet section to avoid reversion problems.I still think any retrofit would need a special design manifold to be efficient if you want to use the o2 trim effectively.

Topic author United States of America
dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 2687 Monterey

Postby dcrahn » December 4th, 2017, 7:25 am

Water reversion can be a death sentence for an o2 sensor, so placement has to be carefully considered. Another problem is that camshaft overlap can play a big part in water reversion, so cam selection needs to carefully considered for your application. Being a retired Sr. Master Craftsman for a prominent cooperate aircraft company and a car fabricator for better part of 42 years, I have and idea I'm working on to eliminate that problem. I can't say anything now until I test and verify and if it works then apply for a patent. I've been bitten before about posting ideas on forums and have learned my lesson.

Big companies do cruise the web looking for other peoples ideas. Years ago I came up with an idea for drag cars and posted photos on a forum to help other drag racers. Several months later a friend contacted me and said, "Doug you need to go on so and so's web page, they took you idea and now offering it to the public". Never :censored: again!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 4th, 2017, 10:10 am

Yes, a very real problem....there were some engine assembly techniques I used to minimize that problem, worked on the intake side but with these marine exhausts you are kind of limited with the distance from the last exhaust valve. Hey, good luck with it and keep it quiet this time........ :beergood:

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”